New wood for companion way

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ralf Hallmann

Hi everybody, I have a 84 M25 and my original wood on the pop-up and companion way door look very wasted. Is there a special wood I need to get (teak) or could I use anything else with good preperation. Are there already some replacments out there? Thanks Ralf

C

CARL

ITS A EASY JOB

Dont worry about it and dont wast your money on teak. when i rebult my 25 i first used red oak and that lasted about ten months so i went to a lumber yard and thay hooked me up with some ironwood and it looks great you can also use mogahiiney or even cypress. just make shure to use z-spar on it and it will last. The ironwood is from Brazil and costs about the same as cypress. it is naturly dark and needs no stain. Then just borrow a table saw and duplicate the rails. have fun!!

T

Tom Hornstein

You don't have to use wood?

I replaced my sliding hatch wooden rails this year. I had to get a running start to get it to slide with the rotten wood on top. I replaced the rails with "T" track, normaly used for genoa sliding cars, etc. I put a stainless washer under the bottom of it at each anchor point and it sits about 1/16" up in order to let water pass through. Now if I accidentally look at the sliding hatch, it opens by itself. That's how smooth it is. The same could be done on the companion way hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.