New Windows for Oday 272

Dec 29, 2014
Oday 272 Kentucky Dam Marina
Hey All,
I am getting ready to replace the windows on my Oday 272. I already have the Starboard side's windows from Rudy at D&R, but thought I could get the Port side cheaper if I order them online and cut them myself. Problem is, I can't seem to find SMOKED Plexi 1/4", 12X48" anywhere (which is what Rudy sent me). However, I have been able to find Black. Any reason why the Black wouldn't work? I know there is a step involving black spray paint so I assume that step would need to be followed regardless the color of the window?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hey All,
I am getting ready to replace the windows on my Oday 272. I already have the Starboard side's windows from Rudy at D&R, but thought I could get the Port side cheaper if I order them online and cut them myself. Problem is, I can't seem to find SMOKED Plexi 1/4", 12X48" anywhere (which is what Rudy sent me). However, I have been able to find Black. Any reason why the Black wouldn't work? I know there is a step involving black spray paint so I assume that step would need to be followed regardless the color of the window?
If it is black, can you see through it? I assume not, or it would be “smoked” or “tinted” or something like that.

I assumed the black spray paint is around the edges, as the plexi on the xx2 series O’days (including my 322) runs below where you can see out…and that is probably painted black (so you don’t see the inside of the window cutout).

But I have not replaced my windows…so speculation on my part.

The ones that you got from D&R are already “painted” on the perimeter? Are they the ones with the port light in them or the middle ones? Or both? I assume you are not trying to make the aft-most piece that wraps up over the roof…

I do want to know how this works out for you as the edges on the windows on my 322 have some cracks where they were screwed down, and they have a bit of crazing.

Greg

IMG_3129.jpeg

Dec 29, 2014
The ones I got from D&R are "smokey," but I can see through them. The instructions advise to spray paint the perimeter around the part that attaches to the boat, for I assume aesthetic purposes. The ones I saw online are black all around, but I have no idea if it's possible to see through them as online stuff is always somewhat of a gamble. Of course I want all the windows to match. Kloudie1 provided a link to a good site I may use when I get ready to place my order. Replacing windows is such an intimidating task that I have no idea when I'll get the gumption to start. :-/

Dec 29, 2014
Wow, Kloudie1! That looks great! I love the idea of hot-gluing a small shelf for the window to sit on while it cures. I don't plan on drilling any holes in the plexi so I'm looking for ways to secure them until they're cured. Thanks!