new to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

duck

Oct 27, 2008
yamaha 36T waukegan
4 year owner of y36 interested in similar experiences.Lake Michigan boat since new 3d owner.Windows continue as a problem and has anyone fit a dodger to the 36 with its low boom.Any help appreciated.

Mar 3, 2008
Yamaha Y-36 Sandusky, Ohio
Wow, another Y36 on the great lakes!! I'm on Lake Erie western end of the lake. Yes, windows always a problem, just getting ready to replace mine again as they don't last to long. The low boom is a problem, thought maybe it was just mine but guess not, wish it was higher so I could add a dodger to mine. Good luck!

duck

Oct 27, 2008
yamaha 36T waukegan
So,what have you done with your windows?I gave up on silicone and used 4200uv it worked better.I also seem to need to re-epoxy the screws on a regular basis. I believe I have the only one on Lake Michigan,good there is another one on the great lakes.

Mar 3, 2008
This time I'm going with Lexan MR10 with Margard II Coating:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog_name=USPlastic&category_name=68&product_id=9948

The Lexan held up the best and didn't scratch up as bad as the Plexiglas used the time before so this time going to try the Lexan with the coating to see how it does. The previous owner replaced them the last time and kept the old ones for templates so I'll let you know how it goes. Probably going to use either 3M 5200 or DOW 832, still researching to see which is best or if there are other products that will work better? I'm going to leave the screws in mine knowing that I will need to re-seal them from time to time, my current windows have cracks that start and the screws and run out from there.

Drop me an email when you can, would love to exchange some pictures and information about our Y36's. I love mine and it is easy to sail except for the draft, with 6'7" it really limits us on where we can go on the western end of Lake Erie due to depth. We love going to the Put-N-Bay islands but there are lots of hidden dangers if your not careful.

Thanks,
Bob

There are some good posts on here about replacing windows.

Rick B

Nov 14, 2008
- - -
windows

Have a Yamaha 33. Had a Yamaha 30 before. O will have to redo our windows soon. Did a "patch" repair last fall when my oldest son was swinging from the cabin handrails and kicked a window loose. I used a sikaflex product that had good adhesion. I think I used 291. There may have been better choices. I would concerned with 3m 5200. I understand it never comes apart and could cause a problem if you have to redo the windows.

The previous owner of our yamaha had drilled the holes oversized for the screws and this may have helped with the cracking. I wonder if a lighter tint would make a difference as there would be lass absorption of solar energy. I think thermal expansion plays a major role in window failure in yamaha's.

Cheers!

Rick

Mar 3, 2008
Re: windows

I've learned a little bit since my last post:) Sikaflex cleaner, primer 209N and then 295uv for adhesive, this product is made especially for gluing polycarbonate to fiberglass. There is a great instructional video on how to prep and apply their products. I'm not using any screws this time as that seemed to be where the cracks started. I ended up getting a piece of Makrolon polycarbonate (http://www.totalplastics.com/products/56) which is the same as Lexan MR-10.

Will let you know how it turns out..........

Status
Not open for further replies.