New to the forum

A

Anomymous 163294

I have just aquired a 1974 oday Mariner 20. I dont know sailing, I am a quick learner and will learn on my own. looking forward to digging into this world . not new to boats. just traded my 1974 starcraft chieftain 18 for this. it will be cleaned up by the owner before i recieve it and titles for it. comes with 10hp evinrude sportwin outboard, and all rigging and sails. plus what you see in the pictures. now 1 question for you all, what am i too look for when i get it home and what are some good tips ? thank you for having me , looking forward to hearing from you all.

Attachments

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Congrats & Welcome.
The first thing to do is to rig it up in your driveway (Or other suitable area). WATCH OUT FOR POWER LINES! You'll want to rig it to confirm all the parts are there and are in usable condition. Also you'll want to see if you can simplify the process so it goes smoothly at the launch ramp.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
My first thought was that it is a bit late to check things in your driveway, after you've brought it home. If you have a friend with some sailing knowledge, have him/her join you while you rig it up in the seller's driveway, before you take it home.

A

Anomymous 163294

My first thought was that it is a bit late to check things in your driveway, after you've brought it home. If you have a friend with some sailing knowledge, have him/her join you while you rig it up in the seller's driveway, before you take it home.
it is being delivered to me when it is ready . the owner is fixing up all my teak wood and cleaning it. before he comes to pick up the chief. so once it gets here in a week or 2 (hopefully sooner) then i will delve into the puzzle of setting everything up. (watched some youtube vids to figure things out) he says all sails and rigging are there. so im hoping hes right. lol. this is a new adventure for me . as i wanted a live aboard cabin cruiser . (bayliner) but couldnt do it and prices of fuel sky rocketing , i decided to go this route. in the future i may get a bigger one. but for now this will do..... what do they say? entry level ..... this is it lol......

A

Anomymous 163294

Congrats & Welcome.
The first thing to do is to rig it up in your driveway (Or other suitable area). WATCH OUT FOR POWER LINES! You'll want to rig it to confirm all the parts are there and are in usable condition. Also you'll want to see if you can simplify the process so it goes smoothly at the launch ramp.
yea , power lines and masts dont like eachother. i saw vids awhile back that a guy was driving with his up and he hit power lines. , not a good site....

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
@1974odaymariner20,
Welcome to the best sailing forum to be found anywhere. We all want to hear your story, and we all especially want to see plenty of pictures of your boat, and most especially we want pictures of you sailing her. So, everyone here will do what we can to help you get there.

KappyKaplan tagged me because I am the VP of Communications for the Mariner Class Association and am somewhat familiar with that boat. However, you are showing pictures of an O'Day 20, not a Mariner. It's nice to know what that extra foot in length and shorter cockpit can do for the cabin. That 20 looks very comfortable.

Just like the Mariner, as well as any trailerable centerboarder or swing keel boat, you want to check the CB for freedom in the trunk. Growth, damage, even swelling can cause a centerboard to get stuck in the trunk. Without sailing experience, you may not even notice your CB isn't lowered when you sail her.

The mast step and tabernacle, deck or cabin top under the step, the compression post that braces the mast below deck, can cause issues when old and inner wood core rots and becomes soft. Check for a depression around the mast base.

Turnbuckles get taken up to full closure as the mast sinks. Soft spots may become apparent as you walk around on the deck. In high traffic areas or areas taking a load, this could be a real problem. The rudder's pintles and gudgeons should be easy to work without slop.

Pay attention to the general repair and maintenance of the boat. A sloppy repair and poor, unseaman-like upkeep, by the owner is a strong indicator of the type of life the boat has had. Inspect every access point below deck. The presence of water isn't necessarily an issue, but it could mean there is an inconveniently hard to reach (difficult and expensive to fix) leak in the centerboard pin, the hull to deck seam, a thru-hull fitting, the mast step, the dead ports and hatches. Check if it is just rain from an open hatch, condensation or a leak.

There are a lot more things to look at, but these are common issues with used Mariners. Most problems are very fixable, however. It just depends on you and your abilities and time and, of course, money.

-Will

A

Anomymous 163294

thats quite the list there Will, thank you. i shall be going over the whole boat when it gets here. the guy im getting it from listed it as a oday mariner 20 . the only mariners i can find are 19s. so I am assuming that this is an actual oday 20 wich is settling to know. i will be chasing wires as well, as i will be adding some stuff to it. when i get boats i usually go through them and see what is all needed , where things are located, and such. same went for the campers i have redone. the lists are endless. but its great to do. i am anxious to get into this one as its been my dream to live aboard. when i find that this one isnt doing it i will sell and go bigger lol. not for many years hopefully. ill get some time on this first.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
The pictures show an O’Day 20, entirely different boat from the Mariner.
You may want think about a much smaller outboard, 4-6 hp is more than enough for the 20, but be sure to get a long-shaft outboard (20”). The 9.5 and will work to get you started, just go easy on the throttle.

A

Anomymous 163294

The pictures show an O’Day 20, entirely different boat from the Mariner.
You may want think about a much smaller outboard, 4-6 hp is more than enough for the 20, but be sure to get a long-shaft outboard (20”). The 9.5 and will work to get you started, just go easy on the throttle.
whats wrong with putting a 10 on this? is it torque on the transom your worried about? or something totally different? i wouldnt go no bigger then a 10 thats for sure. it should surely handle a 10 hp ? anyone elses thoughts on a 10hp on this oday 20? and whats the differences in the mariner and oday 20? as far as i can tell mariners goto 19ft? unless my thought process is buggered thats all i could see when searching for a mariner 20 .

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
For starters - weight. If the weight were in the cabin it would be insignificant. But hanging off the transom it is significant. It will encourage hobby horsing which is a speed killer. And add drag to the stern. Racing sailors try to reduce weight on the transom. Sometimes by moving crew forward. Sometimes by putting the outboard in the cabin - usually on a cradle.
And yes, transoms are rated for the weight and power of the outboard.
You know that a displacement hull doesn't go much faster than its theoretical hull speed which is based on wetted hull length. So a10 hp won't drive the boat any faster than a 6. Maybe not faster than a 3.5 - at least in flat water. The 10 will power through waves better. But it will burn a lot more fuel and increase the stress on the transom. Often the best way to go into waves is to sail. You're heeled over a bit and hit the waves are at an 45 degree (Or so) angle. Way more comfortable than bashing into waves.

A

Anomymous 163294

well thank you for the information. i guess i will trade this 10hp when i get it. cheers

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
is it torque on the transom your worried about?
Yes, among the others mentioned above. Sailboat transoms are not generally engineered to support the power of large outboard motor thrust.

If you plan on trailering, don't leave a heavy outboard hanging off the stern. You only need to push your boat in and out of the marina. All that extra power will be wasted on a displacement hull.

-Will

A

Anomymous 163294

what size electric would i have to get? would 55lbs thrust be too heavy or too light? any suggestions?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
what size electric would i have to get? would 55lbs thrust be too heavy or too light? any suggestions?
55lbs = Minimum. There are a lot of Mariner owners who use those. They work. Not much fight against wind, but they will get you out of the harbor on a nice day. I would think an electric trolling motor in the 24v - 48v, 80 lbs+ thrust would be more reasonable.

-Will

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The best approach to buying a used boat is to understand that there's always another one, if the one you're looking at isn't exactly right.

Take your time.

-Will