New to sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2013
Irwin 28 Milwaukee
I have a 1974 Irwin 28 and have done my first sail in her. I noticed the propeller spins even when the motor is shut off. Should I leave the motor in gear but off to keep the propeller from spinning? I am completely new to sailing so would appreciate any advice.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
Different opinions on this. Best I can tell most say to leave in gear. You do not want that shaft spinning all the time.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Thanks. I will be sure to do that. I have a lot to learn. :)
Different engine/transmission brands and models will be different in this regard. You can wreck your transmission by failing to observe what the manufacturer specifies.

If you have a Yanmar (with a Kanzaki transmission), you must leave it in neutral. If you have a Universal (with a Hurth transmission) you may leave it in either neutral or reverse, just not in forward. Since there is less drag by letting the prop freewheel, just figure on leaving it in neutral with either of these setups.

This thread will be a good place for you to start: http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=151762&#post1021102

You may also wish to search the archives for other info on this, though the above thread should tell you all you need to know.

May 24, 2013
Irwin 28 Milwaukee
Different engine/transmission brands and models will be different in this regard. You can wreck your transmission by failing to observe what the manufacturer specifies.

If you have a Yanmar (with a Kanzaki transmission), you must leave it in neutral. If you have a Universal (with a Hurth transmission) you may leave it in either neutral or reverse, just not in forward. Since there is less drag by letting the prop freewheel, just figure on leaving it in neutral with either of these setups.

This thread will be a good place for you to start: http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=151762&#post1021102

You may also wish to search the archives for other info on this, though the above thread should tell you all you need to know.
Thanks. I will check out the thread. I have no idea what transmission is on the boat. The boat was from a donation to the Sea Scouts and they have no documentation on it.

May 24, 2013
Irwin 28 Milwaukee
All I do know is it is the original Atomic 4 gas engine with a 2 blade fixed propeller.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
All I do know is it is the original Atomic 4 gas engine with a 2 blade fixed propeller.
I don't know what to tell you about the Atomic 4 but I would recommend that for this, as well as other engine questions you no doubt will have, that you go to the Moyer Atomic 4 internet forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.