New (to me) O'day Day Sailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 29, 2009
2 Day Sailer China Lake, ME
HI:

I just purchased a used (obviously) Day Sailer and am trying to figure out the year it was built. The last two numerals on the serial are 85. So, 1985 yes? The boat has a "O'day 25 year Anniversary" plate on the inside of the transom. Also, what is the difference between a Day Sailer, A DSII and a DSIII?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I'm back to sailing after many years away and had a blast this past weekend cruising around on our lake with my wife and 5 year old son. I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as time goes by. Thanks for the opportunity to ask them!:)

Tim

angela

Jun 29, 2009
Oday Daysailer II lake Nockamixon
Congratulations on your new boat. I just purchased a daysailer II 198?
We did not get out this weekend as a few pieces are missing and I could not figure out the rigging. We did a dry run in the driveway but somethong is missing.
Good luck with the new boat.
Angela

Jun 29, 2009
Thanks PF. I looked at your link but it looked like insurance, purchase/sale info. Any suggestions?

May 9, 2004
Oday DaySailer Oklahoma City
China Lake, ME

SleepRN:

Hope you find all you need on the daysailer site. Lots of good info. There is also much to be learned on this site also. Good luck and fair winds to you.

I do have one question for you. Where is China Lake, ME ? Just curious. About 2 years ago, for my 60th b'day, I treated myself and my wife to a 4 day cruise on one of the wind jammers (Mercantile) out of Camden, ME. That turned out to be an awesome trip. The captain even let me take the tiller for a short while. But he decided to retake the helm when I ventured to close to one of the islands. Guess I am just too used to my little "Dancing Girls II". We really enjoyed Maine and plan on returning sometime in the hopefully near future. Maine has such a sailing tradition. But I know I could not stand the winters. I have enough trouble in central Oklahoma with winters here. Do you get much sailing time during the spring to fall before the winter sets in?

Again, I hope that you enjoy your Daysailer. It should give you many years of enjoyment. Mine sure has. And for a beauty of 43 years, she's still going strong.

Fair winds,

Yukonterr
"Dancing Girls II", 1966 DSI

Jun 29, 2009
SleepRN:

Hope you find all you need on the daysailer site. Lots of good info. There is also much to be learned on this site also. Good luck and fair winds to you.

I do have one question for you. Where is China Lake, ME ? Just curious. About 2 years ago, for my 60th b'day, I treated myself and my wife to a 4 day cruise on one of the wind jammers (Mercantile) out of Camden, ME. That turned out to be an awesome trip. The captain even let me take the tiller for a short while. But he decided to retake the helm when I ventured to close to one of the islands. Guess I am just too used to my little "Dancing Girls II". We really enjoyed Maine and plan on returning sometime in the hopefully near future. Maine has such a sailing tradition. But I know I could not stand the winters. I have enough trouble in central Oklahoma with winters here. Do you get much sailing time during the spring to fall before the winter sets in?

Again, I hope that you enjoy your Daysailer. It should give you many years of enjoyment. Mine sure has. And for a beauty of 43 years, she's still going strong.

Fair winds,

Yukonterr
"Dancing Girls II", 1966 DSI
Hey Yukonterr:

Thanks for writing. China Lake is about 15 miles north of our capital Augusta. My wife and I bought a small seasonal camp on the lake two years ago and I've been itching for a small boat for ahwile. I grew up in upstate NY sailing sunfish and lightnings. My dad had an old wooden spoon-bowed Friendship sloop on the coast of Massachusetts in my teens and in college a good friend had access to a C&C 36 that we used more than the owner! Most recently I sailed my brothers Laser II on a lake in western Maine.

The DSIII is new to me as of last weekend. We picked it up Saturday morning and the maiden voyage went well save for a jammed centerboard at dockside. Heeled it over with the mast a pulled it down and we were off. A friend even delivered a hot cup of coffeee to me in the middle of the lake when he came out to see the boat. A hot cup of joe, my wife and 5 year old son and a nice run down the lake to our dock.......it doesn't get much better!

Yes, our summer is a bit short you might say. "Seven months of wintah, and 5 months of rough sleddin' " as they say here. We don't mind the cool weather and are usually skiing by May. Camden sure is beautiful. You saw a great area of our state. Glad the cruise was fun.

I'm sure I'll have more info as time goes by. The boat needs a jib and a small outboard might be nice someday. For now I'm tickled to be out sailing again!

Good talking to you.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
SleepRN, I have a Day Sailer II Rigging Guide/Owners Manual that I created based on the original O'DAY information combined with my experiences with my DS II, I can make a copy for you if You like. I do have to ask for $10 to cover printing and postage (I'm out of work at the moment). If your boat is a 1985 model it should be a DS II (although, a few DS IIs were built near the end of the 1985 model year) 1986 is officially the first year for the DS III. If you have a DS III, I also have a version of my manual that applies to the DS III.
I have included pictures of the DS I, DS II, and DS III below.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.