New to me C42; need autopilot and new Radar

Wippy

Jan 13, 2022
Catalina 42 MK 1 Los Angeles
New to this forum.
Just bought a very clean1989 C42 MK I. I would really appreciate any experienced advice on selecting the best autopilot (there isn't one now) and what to replace a really old Foruno Radar with. My experience is with Raymarine radar and Simrad AP (hydraulic). My new boat has mostly Raymarine electronics incl. an A-series touchscreen w/AIS, so I'm inclined that way for integration on a new Radar, but open to any thoughts on that, (which model, etc) and really need advice on selection of an AP and any installation expertise! Thank you.
Geoff on s/v Wippy

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new sailboat!!

My Hunter 46 has all Raymarine electronics and very happy with them.

Autopilot.........type II hydraulic linerar drive and suggest checking with Raymarine for the correct model Evolution Autopilot for Fishing, Racing or Cruising | Marine Electronics by Raymarine. In the meantime, you might find this thread helpful Which raymarine autopilot do you use. - Catalina 42/425 Assoc (tapatalk.com).

Radar...........suggest checking with Raymarine for the model that is compatible with your navigation display Marine Radar Systems | Marine Electronics by Raymarine.

Last edited:

Wippy

Jan 13, 2022
Fantastic!! Excellent. Will return to this the minute I can get my head out of the dumb work thing!

Wippy

Jan 13, 2022
Just purchased a used Raymarine RD424HD 4KW 24" digital radome from MaxMarineElectronics, compatible with existing A-series gps/ais. So I think I'm set there.
Being advised to purchase a new autopilot. So will start the search. Any and all thoughts very welcome!
Geoff/s/v Wippy/Los Angeles

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@2:16pm today
Will return to this the minute I can get my head out of the dumb work thing!
@3:52pm today
Just purchased a used Raymarine RD424HD 4KW 24" digital radome from MaxMarineElectronics, compatible with existing A-series gps/ais.
Glad you got your priorities straight! :biggrin::biggrin:

Congrats on the new boat!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome Wippy. New boats are great fun. Sounds like you are Going Raymarine. Good idea to utilize a common product as it makes teaching the systems to work together easier.

You size boat needs a linear or hydraulic AP to manage the steering. The Raymarine EV200 is one I would explore.

Check the a-series model you have is compatible with the new AP.

Wippy

Jan 13, 2022
Thanks for the welcome John. I'm excited! I lasted a whole month not owning a boat. Last one left behind in Fiji, ended up unable to return to her w/ Covid shutdowns, sold her to the marina manager after two years. Thought that was it! But it was a new boat or therapy I guess.... That boat had hydraulic steering w/ Simrad Robertson AP. This one is cable. Told I need an 'electric linear drive' system. All new to me. Told to look at the Raymarine Evolution. Trying to find an easy enough layout or diagram or expertise. Am told not to consider used, should all be new. Will definitely look at the EV200, thank you!!

Wippy

Jan 13, 2022

Wippy

Jan 13, 2022
@2:16pm today
@3:52pm today
Glad you got your priorities straight! :biggrin::biggrin:

Congrats on the new boat!
Thank you Ward!! Yes, a little distracting owning a new boat, kind of hard to concentrate on the dumb work thing!!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Trying to find an easy enough layout or diagram or expertise
Welcome. You may not be aware that almost all Catalinas have their own owners associations, many with helpful websites and forums that are boat specific. They help you to avoid reinventing the wheel.
You may find details of autopilots there, too.

All the best, Stu

Wippy

Jan 13, 2022
Thanks Stu! Thanks to you spent an inordinate amount of time this weekend on the Catalina owners forum. Very valuable. Thanks much for the tip!