New to Battery Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lucy

I owned a West Wight Potter 19 and spent many summers on board. Inever had a marine battery. I'm planning on getting a MAc 26x and have many questions about living onboard without having shore power...how long does a charge last and how do I recharge it...should I have 2 batteries...can I recharge my cell phone with it - how? Any info will be helpful. Thanks from an AA battery veteran.

K

Kevin Barry

Batteries

Hi Lucy, Your best bet is to have two batteries. One for starting, and a deep cycle battery for your live-aboard needs. Most engines will charge your batteries while under power. The bigger the engine, the better the charge capacity, in general. Be sure and check this out when you shop for an engine. The 4-stroke 50hp's are great on the mac and carry a pretty decent charging capacity. You may also want to keep a jump box on board for extra power and to power some AC devices. You can also add a 'cigarette lighter' outlet which would probably work with your cell phone. I'm right up the road, sail out of Rye harbour in NH. Be glad to help you out. If you'd like to see the boat or take a test sail, let me know. Any excuse to head out is good enough for me:) Kevin

K

Kevin Barry

Contact

If you'd like to reach me you can contact me at radtnh@aol.com. Kevin

E

Eddie

Hi Lucy Try a 12volt golfing trolley battery for auxilliary power. YUASA, 17.5a/hr. It is not heavy and can be carried ashore. May assist for jump backup if main battery is low on poweer. Let me know how you get on. Eddie

P

Phil Duke

Battery Power

Hi Lucy, I Purchase a MacGregor 26X last year and I had no problems with the one cranking battery for the house lights and cranking my Honda 50 motor and I charge my cell phone using a clip on’ cigarette lighter'. I had no problem running all weekend. I have added since some other equipment such as a TV/VCR, a small Ac/DC frig. a depth finder, GPS, VHF radio to by boat. So I installed a bank of four GEL CELL Batteries with an onboard charger. With all this I have lived onboard for as long as two weeks and hooked up to shore power to charge up about ever 3 to 4 days. I never have had a completely dead battery yet. I would say it depends on what you have onboard that uses up you battery power and how many Amps it pulls as to how many batteries you need. If you have nothing but the cell phone onboard your MacGregor I would suggest you invest in a battery box for emergency jump starts just to be safe. Have a great time on your MacGregor I love mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.