New steering brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Had problem with steering brake not holding.
So I purchased a kit from Defender.
Pulled all parts off to get access which took about half hour.
Then I worked for three hours trying to remove the brake shoe pin, plus I purchased a new pair of long self locking needle nose plyers, and still could not budge pin.
So I cut an access hole in the pedistal, which took about 10 minutes and using a pair of dykes cut out the pin in 2 minutes.
After removing brake shoes I found one shoe was missing a line'g.
I glued the brake linnings to the contour of the shoes and held them in place using small clamps and let them cure over night. After shoes dried I used Dremel to dress up brakes.
Cleaned up the grease mess and pepaired for tomorrows re installation.
The pin that came in brake kit was too big in diameter, must have been a press fit installation before that's why I had a hard time pulling the other pin, so I installed a smaller pin.
Job done....next install the compass.

http://picasaweb.google.com/1dbpaul...key=Gv1sRgCPaTktmv35ecvwE#5310279894641067074

paulj :troll:

Shell

Sep 26, 2007
Catalina 30 standard JC/NYC
All that work just to replace a brake pad.
Something doesn't seem right.
I own a 1986 30 Catalina for 8 years, Out sometimes 2 times a day in season, never replaced the pad.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Hey Paulj,
First, thanks a lot for sharing your ordeal with us.
Questions:
1) Are there (2) pins, a cotter pin, and a longer pin that acts as the squeeze when tightening the break knob, thus pulling against the cotter pin as a stop?
2) If so which pin required you to cut the hole?
3) Did you need to cut the access hole to allow room to slide the squeeze pin out because there was not enough lateral room to remove, or because the cotter pin was stuck?
4) What is the part# of the break kit and where do you get it from?
I would think that the once the cotter pin was removed the squeeze pin pulls out from the knob side.
Assuming my assumptions are correct. Might the act of pulling against the pin from extended use kink and distorting it so the cotter pin would not pull out any more. Not sure how to solve that problem for next time, have to think about it.
I have the same problem with my break. Poor design because of the surface area of the brake shoe and hub is small compared to the forces involved.
Thanks again
Tom

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Paul,
After reviewing the drawing the cotter pin is to keep someone from inadvertently backing the knob out too far. If that were done and torqed it would have distort the cotter pin so it would be difficult to remove. I think in your case using a dremel to grind the cotter pin off may have been a better choice than cutting a hole in the side of the pedistle. Then once out you could get the stub out with a drift. Thanks for the drawing!! Where to you order the kit from?
Tom

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Thanks for the link, $50 ouch. I will make my own pags using corfam. My dad invented the stuff so I got plenty hanging around.
Tom

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
My knob is on the side like Paulj. Catalina must have changed Edson models sometime after Hull #83. Not sure what Paulj's hull# is? Pipe in there Paulj and let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.