new smell

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Last run of the engine and started smelling something kind of sweet. A little later, the tach stopped reading. The smell was not antifreeze, I checked and that smells different.

Today, tach would not read and got a bit more of the smell. After an hour, tach came back up and no more smell.

Alternator was running 180 to 200 today.
ARS 5 voltage reg appeared to be OK but havent gone deep into the menu.

Would something like a diode smell kinda sweet if it was cooking? And would it come back to life?

Thnx

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
A bit of a shot in dark

It does sound to me, a shade tree mechanic, like the insulation on a wire or some other electrical component got hot and burned causing the smell and causing the failure of the tach to operate. In the past I have had things like that happen due to an incorrect fuse or incorrect wiring used.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Lying Castine. Could ship to harbormaster here. If its alternator or voltage reg, I'll swap in spares. Wiring, got extra. New engine? Hmmm
Thnx

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hate the odors game, we cleaned the bilges and began smelling odors that were masked by the more offending bilge. One was a plastic smell which turned out to be a swimming noodle that I had stowed in the cockpit pushed forward under the dodger. Once the sun got on it I would get the plastic smell and head to the engine room to check for hot wires. That kept me busy for more than a week. Any aftershave missing? Good luck with the search.

All U Get

If you need a store, there's a Hamilton Marine in Rockland.
http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/about.htm

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2010
Hake 32RK Red Bank
Ozone is a by product of electrical arcing and has a sweet odor. Check your wiring....

H45DS

Aug 12, 2010
Hunter 45DS Portland, OR
Last run of the engine and started smelling something kind of sweet. A little later, the tach stopped reading. The smell was not antifreeze, I checked and that smells different.

Today, tach would not read and got a bit more of the smell. After an hour, tach came back up and no more smell.

Alternator was running 180 to 200 today.
ARS 5 voltage reg appeared to be OK but havent gone deep into the menu.

Would something like a diode smell kinda sweet if it was cooking? And would it come back to life?

Thnx
Semiconductors tend to have a bit of an acrid smell when they fry. I wouldn't call it sweet at all, so I don't think that's your problem, but...

Nov 9, 2009
catalina 25 wing keel rutledge tn.
If the tachometer is working intermittently you could have a corroded or loose connection at the sending unit. The tachometer will be connected to the engine with a couple of wires and usually resembles a temperature sending unit, but looks a little bit different. Carefully disconnect the wires one at a time and clean the connections with some emery cloth and then spray them with WD40. Make sure the connections are snug.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Will engine oil on a wire cause this smell? I have a valve cover gasket that refuses to seal completely and so I now have some oil on some wires.

No sign of chafe or burn on any wires that I can see.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
One wire leading to the alternator had some eng oil run down it to a connector. I wiped up everything and no more flaky tach and no more smell.
So maybe that is it. I wont know for sure until it comes back, if it does!
I'll give it another week and then do a more thorough cleaning and replace the connector.