new site name?

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
I know 949.reno2.com isn't the most obvious name for this site. I can pretty easily change the name to anything available, like aldenchallenger.org. Any thoughts?

I would have the 949.reno2.com redirect to the new site name for a year or two just so that we don't lose anyone.

David

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The site comes up on a google of Alden Challenger

Through Good Old Boat. I think with just 50 some boats built, we have a good portion of the owners now. We will never be an enormous group but I'm sure there are a few more who would be interested. Some may be visiting but haven't joined yet. Most of us must have come just searching Alden Challenger so far, obviously, it works.

We should just keep adding info, we'll get more.

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
wiki

Another idea I had was to start a wiki. If you don't know what that is, check out this site: http://tavi.sourceforge.net/WhatIsAWiki

The way it would work is one could go to the Alden Challenger wiki and read about any area of interest (e.g. fiberglass, chainplates, fuel tanks) and also add content or rewrite that section.

Any thoughts?

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
wiki

If anyone is interested, I'm playing around with a wiki site. It is here for now: wiki/

The idea is that a wiki is a book that everyone can write. It is not a message forum like this site and would not replace this site. It could be viewed as a good place to consolidate information from this site though. Also, it supports image uploading.

Keep in mind (if you try it out) that it is not permanent yet. I may delete it all at any time. It is just there to show everyone and see what they think.

Let me know your thoughts about it!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Looking at the new site.

Looks like it could be a good way to store info, we're getting alot already and I can see this may be a better place for much of it. What about photos, can they be uploaed and then left on the site without being linked to another site? I have tons as well as JPEG floor plan etc. Tell us more David. Tom

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
photos

One of the nice features is that it does support image upload. Everything gets stored on the server, so there would be no limit to the number of photos uploaded.

As things stand, we have a nice, usable site, that stores conversations. It's like the equivalent of sorting through email threads for information. It's good in that everyone participates, but it has some limitations. First, someone wanting to find information on refurbishing the fuel tanks has to search for all the different comments on it in the different existing threads. Second, there aren't many pictures, since uploading of images isn't supported.

A wiki is a little different in that it is the equivalent of a shared book that anyone can edit. That means that if Tom writes a great, clear article about fuel tanks, Joe Badwriter can edit and make it better or worse. This actually turns out to be the greatest strength of a wiki. Joe Badwriter is likely to recognize when he can improve something and when he can't. But if he makes it worse, Tom can either rollback the article to his version or just modify the latest version to be something that both Joe Badwriter and he like. The result (in theory) is highly objective, comprehensive material (because subjective material doesn't survive). This is how http://en.wikipedia.org works.

At this point, I can see the wiki as an addition to the forums. However, let me stress that I don't want to be a policy maker in this community, I just want to be helpful; so let me know what you all think about this.

David

David

Jun 17, 2004
Macgregor 26x Morecambe
forum upgrade

I just found out that I can add a "mod" to this site that will allow file uploads. I think this is what we have all wanted in terms of uploading images to attach to messages. I'm not going to install it just yet, because a major update to the forum software will be available in a month or two. I'll wait until I upgrade to the new version, then add the file attachment capability.

Just thought I'd let you all know that adding photos to posts is in the forseable future.

Jun 28, 2004
I checked out aldenchallenger.org a couple of years ago, and it was available. If not, a variant should be (perhaps aldenchallenger38 since challenger has been used for a 58' center cockpit ketch as well).

A wiki is a great idea, David. I'm all for it.

Rick

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
david said:
I know 949.reno2.com isn't the most obvious name for this site. I can pretty easily change the name to anything available, like aldenchallenger.org. Any thoughts?

I would have the 949.reno2.com redirect to the new site name for a year or two just so that we don't lose anyone.

David

Dave, I like the name "aldenchallenger" and think a wiki site is a good idea.. TED