New Sirius Owner!

Mar 7, 2013
Sirius 21 Belews Lake
Hey guys,

I am excited be be a new Sirius 21 owner. It is 1984 model. I haven't had it in the water yet, but it seems to be a well built boat. I recently sold a Lancer 28' to downsize to a more transportable boat. So I found this one in pretty good shape for a good price. I love the cabin layout and rigging. I plan to sail at a local lake this fall and winter, but I really want to take her to the coast here in NC. I should have it in the water within the next few weeks, just trying to get everything how I want it.

I have a few things that I'm not too sure of however. Firstly, this boat has no bilge..and no bilge pump. The boat is bone dry, but I can't help but think it will get water in there at some point. I'm thinking of installing a pump under the cockpit behind the keel crank.

Also, the backstay is attached to the stern. It is slightly offset, but it looks like it will interfere with the tillers range of movement. It looks like it may prevent a hard tack or heave-to to starboard. As I said, I haven't put it in the water yet so it may not be an issue.

What about this pop-top. Cool idea, but I don't have a way to keep it up yet. It seems like it should attach to the mast somehow but there's no attachment there. Also, I guess it should only be raised while docked because the boomvang has to be removed to raise it? Any pointers on this matter.

Thanks for any advice of any useful info about the Sirius 21

Aug 19, 2013
Sirius 22 Minneapolis
The pop top is held up by a bolt that is attached to a slug that rides up and down in the mast track. I just have a wing nut and washer on the bolt and when I pop the top up against the mast I slide the bolt up into the slot on the pop top and snug up the wing nut. It seems not very secure at first glance but since the pop top pulls back and down it works. Mine has never come down in 29 years. We only have it up at anchor. I have never sailed the boat with it up.
I have the Siruis 22 and it has a different rudder and stern but also an offset backstay. It causes no problems with the tiller.

Mar 7, 2013
Sirius 21 Belews Lake
Hey thanks for the reply. After cleaning the boat up i came across the nifty bolt lug for the top. Works like a charm. I still haven't put her in the water due to making a few updates, repairs, and getting the title sorted out. But, I'm ready now, should be in the water this week. I can't wait to get the keel hummin.

Jan 19, 2012
Vandestadt & McGruer Sirius 21 Hamilton
You have bought a very well built boat. I have manual bilge pump in the most rear port seat hold. I get very small amounts of water in boat while sailing through the Keel pin hole. The rear stay does not get in the way of tiller. I have same mechanism for pop top to attached to mast slot with wing nut to attach pop top. You will find great info on this site. See my earlier post for email if you require original owners manual, and promotional art for Sirius. The boat sails well too. Enjoy!

Mar 7, 2013
Sirius 21 Belews Lake
Maiden trip

I finally got to put my new to me Sirius21 in the water at the local lake. It was a nice breezy day with 5-10 kt winds. I noticed right away that the Sirius sails much closer to the wind than my previous Lancer28 full keel boat. However, it didn't take long for the keel humm to get on my nerves. I was totally distraught over the annoying buzz,I couldn't relax it had me all stressed out. I listened to the humm for about an hour before giving up the helm to my wife so I could go below and mess with it. So, thanks to this forum I had read to loosen the cable and it would lessen the hum. I was delighted that the noise went away and we sailed for another 3 hours. My depth sounder didnt work, but the paddle wheel speed gauge worked for an hour, Just long enough to clock a nice close haul at 6kt. Then it didn't work anymore the rest of the day. I know the lake well and all the shallow locations so I am confident with the depths, but that's my next project is to get those instruments working. I was also impressed by the momentum the boat kept on a good rub railed heel. My last boat seemed to lose forward motion and begin sliding sideways. A couple other notes, i didnt see a single drop of water in the sole, so I'm very happy to have a dry boat. And I was running a genoa and the midstay seemed to be in the way when tacking, at one time it actually got snagged on the midstay rigging and caused a small tear. But Overall, i like the boat and I'm anxious to get to know it better in the next few months. Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Attachments