New Sails

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Greg

I am in need of a new sail. I have a 1980 C22 with the original sails. I have price for a new main from Roller Tasker, they are cheaper than the Catalina Direct Sails. Does anyone have any experience with Roller Tasker? Which sail would you go with? I am looking for a main sail. Thanks Greg

C

Charlie on "Kestrel"

Greg, I have an '86 C22 with the original sails. They are all stretched and out of shape and basically beyond repair. I looked around and your right, National Sail (Rolly Tasker) has the best price. A search through the archives didn't have many responses, but I have not heard anything bad. You should at least bring your sails to any reputable sail loft for a cleaning and evaluation. They can also do minor or major repairs. I brought mine to Doyles 4 years ago when I got the boat and they said that for just starting out they were "servicable". I ordered a new main and a 135 headsail from National Sail and should have them for Christmas. Just the basic cruising sails. The main will have 4 battens, I now have only 3 and both will have leech and luff lines which I don't have now. The main will also have the Catalina Insignia and my 5 didgit sail number on both sides of the sail. I went for a new mainsail cover also and was still under $1000. I don't expect to be on the water again until June (the swing keel needs some work) But I'll post again when I recieve the sails and when I get on the water. Good luck!

R

R Kolb

New Main

I bought a new Catalina Direct main this summer. It is made by Ullman. I have been very happy with it and it made a big difference in sailing. I went with full battens and loose foot. One feature I like is the jack line which makes reefing much easier and safer. I would suggest you get a jack line regardless of the sail maker. Randy P.S. Just ordered a 150 furler genny from CD and a Schaeffer Snapfurl from riggingonly.com. Can't wait till spring!

Feb 9, 2004
- - -
Check out Doyle right here

Hello Greg et all - Although probably not the cheapest option out there, you might consider getting a quote from the quality Doyle sails available from this chandlery (See Related link below). Definitely high quality at a reasonable price. Best, Trevor

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
2004 nationals winner

This years C22 2004 Nationals was using Doyle sails.....hard to beat that!!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Get quotes from these guys....

price and quality wise, I've had good luck with CruisingDirect and Air Force Sails. you can access Air Force through www.sailnet.com go to www.cruisingdirect.com for info on their sails. Both these companies will give you an immediate quote.

Jun 4, 2004
- - Abilene, TX
Rolly Tasker

I purchased a new 110 from National Sails. It has been a good sail. If you want numbers and a logo; National Sails are not any cheaper than Catalina Direct. I have priced alot of sails, and it is hard to be Catalina Directs price for a main. David

R

R Kolb

Loose Foot

The loose foot allows the sail shape to go all the way to the bottom. With a sail that is attached all along the boom the sail cannot obtain its full shape because the foot is held to a straight line. With my new sail when I adjust the outhaul, for instance, I can see the shape change all the way to the foot of the sail. People debate this a lot and it ends up being a personal preference. I have had both and prefer the loose foot. Randy

B

Bob B.

Loose Foot Randy

Randy: Thanks for the info on the loose foot main. I have seen it mentioned before but have never seen one. There must be a big time strain on the tach & clew during heavy weather. Regards, Bob B.

Jun 7, 2004
- - Deale, MD
Tight Foot?

Sails attached to the boom usually have a shelf section at the bottom designed to allow the sail to attain the correct draft. Tightening the outhaul has exactly the same effect on these sails as on a loose footed sail. As the outhaul is tightened the shelf goes slack and the sail flattens. I'm not sure that there is any particular advantage to the loose footed sail except that downwind the sail can be allowed to get fairly baggy.

R

R Kolb

Loose Foot II

As you can see there are people who prefer the loose foot and others that don't. It's a bit like getting consensus on the best way to treat teak! I don't think that the loose foot puts undue strain on the tack and clue. This setup is fairly common and I suspect the sailmakers make those points sturdy enough to handle it.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
loose foot benetifs

Hello my understanding is that a loose foot allows easier control of the outhaul since there is no friction of the boltrope in the boom slide. With either sail configuration the shape of the bottom of the sail can be controlled. With the loose foot you can get more tension (or at least it's easier to tension) on the outhaul. Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.