New Sails Capri 22 Tall Rig

Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
Just brought home a Mark I Tall Rig to replace a Standard Rig. The tall rig does have some fairly decent older sails, but I also have a nearly new set of standard rig sails that are for sale in the classifieds. Before they get sold, I'm wondering if anyone has thoughts as to how well the standard rig sails would work on the Tall rig as heavy air sails. For instance the Main sail would be basically the same as a first reef taken on the tall rig main. The 110 blade might also be useful in heavy air. The reason for getting the Tall rig is for light air which we have allot of in the summer, but we do also get some 15 to 20 knot days. Should I keep the standard rig sails? They're a fine set of Ullmans.

Feb 16, 2017
Hi, having done exactly what you are doing. There is no improvement and or you'll be actually slower.
The reason is the clew heights are now to high, it like sailing with a reaching sails. You will find the boat will sail about the same but not point as high.
As to keeping them, I would sell and get new sails.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
anyone has thoughts
The size of the standard sails would be of advantage in high winds, but not the shape. When your tall rig main is reefed, you still have that essential roach and belly shape maintained by the trim of the sail. I can see how using those standard sails would seem like a good idea, but they're more likely to affect your pointing ability upwind, just as @odj22sailor was saying.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It sounds like more work than is necessary to change out the main for one reef point. Same with the jib. However, they might make great foundation material for a sailmaker to actually cut storm sails out of.
If you are long range cruising, save them as backup sails. Try them out and see for yourself how they perform. Then, share your results with us. I can't see how they would perform poorly. The tall rig would be a stiffer boat but the mast is still in the same location. Your center of effort would move forward slightly, but not significantly.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
Thanks to all for your input. Makes perfect sense regarding high clews and pointing ability. Can't exaggerate how new these Ullman Standard Rig sails are. The 135 and main were just delivered in August and the 110 last year. Someone's gonna get a heck of a deal.