New Sailor

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ann

I grew up sailing on my parent's Hunter 460. Now, I'm thinking about buying my own boat...mostly for cruising the Caribbean and East Coast, and maybe some future trips down to South America or to the West Coast. I'm not that experienced a sailor and I'm definately not experienced at buying boats. Can anyone suggest a model? Any sort of general information or guidance would be very much appreciated!! Thanks!

J

Jay Hill

Wow, wide open question

...and is a little bit difficult to answer without a great deal more information. There's really only one rule: You'll want to find a vessel that matches your needs for the right price. To find out what's available, what each vessel can offer in amenities, tankage, versatility, maintenance, performance, etc., and estimates for used pricing, I highly recommend investing $60 in Practical Sailor's Practical Boat Buying. You can contact them with the link below. http://www.practical-sailor.com/Contact/contact.htm There are, of course, other boat buying guides; this just happens to be a good value; it gives lots of reviews for just a little money. You can also read owner reviews on dozens of owner's sites. That's also a good place to find out what you want the vessel to do for you, for example, performance vs. giant cabin, very stable vs. a lot faster, and other trade-offs. After finding a few models you're "in love with" try to find them in charter companies or local marinas. If in marinas, you can probably contact the owners for a "test sail" that will only cost you snacks and beverages. Chartering will allow you to really spend a few days digging through the boat, finding all the thru-hulls, assessing the accessability, refridgeration, air conditioning, showers, water pressure, room in the heads, salon, and berths, etc. Your biggest decision will probably be HOW much money to spend. There are many, many boats that can do what you want, you just have to find the "right" one for you. Be patient, have fun, and good luck.

J

Justin - O'day Owner's Web

Boat shopping is fun ...

A - In my mind the two keys are these: The boat must be one that you can operate without stress. The boat must be one that you can afford to maintain without stress. These may seem simplistic, but if you expand on them you find the two most common causes for frustration with sailing. Firstly, if you must rely on people who are not readily present and available when you want to sail, you will not use the boat. Secondly, if you will worry about paying the bills, you will not enjoy it. If, however, you find a boat that you can operate in your normal recreation mode and can afford to maintain, the rest will follow. For me, this meant a boat that I could singlehand, because although my girlfriend is enthusiastic, she does not yet know how to sail well enough to be a reliable crew member. It also meant a boat that could be floated off a transporter and with a mast that I could step with the assistance of a friend to avoid yard fees. Having said all that, I would toss in one more recomendation. Find a boat that willl allow you the latitude for some local cruising, gain some experience, develop some personal preferences, then go looking for your long range cruising boat. If you choose a well known production boat to start with, and if you take good care of it, you should be able to get your money back out of it to apply to the next boat. In terms of particular models, I would suggest you look at the 23 and 25 foot models from O'day, Catalina, and Hunter. Each of these boats has benefits over the others, but any of them will allow you to do coastal cruising and get some experience, and any of them will retain its value. Justin - O'day Owner's Web

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Don't be too ambitious

If you're a relative beginner, start out by sailing on OPB (other people's boats). Get a feel for what you like & don't like. Start checking out the brokerage listings every weekend or so. The most important thing you need to do right now is determine exactly what you're going to do NOW in that boat. If you're not experienced, you're probably not going to be heading off to Jamaica anytime soon, much less crossing large oceans. Allow yourself a learning curve. Start with a smaller boat which will allow you to decide what you really need or don't need in your "big boat". I would recommend something under 27 feet but over 22. There are many, many used boats that fall into this category which have a wide price range. I bought my Catalina 27 cuz I knew I wouldn't be doing any ocean cruising but I wanted something I could easily overnight on. You can pick them up for $1000 to $10,000, depending on how much work you want to do or how eager the seller is. This is a great (and much less of a commitment) way to get a feel for your eventual needs. Just remember, you have a lot to learn yet and you don't want to get "stuck" with a boat that just doesn't work for you after promising the bank your first born.

W

Wayne Estabrooks

More Advice

Ann, Lots of good advice in the previous responses. Especially the one about sailing other peoples boats. Don't be too quick to buy a boat. Walk the docks at marinas and talk to sailors. Make a list of what you want in a boat. My wife wants creature comforts and I enjoy that too. A roomy interior, comfortable berths, hot showers and good sailing characteristics are all important to me. I have taken wanna-be sailors out on my boat and that has given them a perspective of a mid sized boat as I have a Hunter 340. I also recommend you take a boating course from either a local Sail & Power Squadron Chapter or Coast Guard Auxiliary. I have taken the CG course and joined the Power Squadron and taken many of their courses ranging from Cruise Planning, Engine & Systems Maintenance, to Advanced Piloting. These courses combined with on the water experience will make you a better sailor. Once you settle on a particular boat and decide to purchase, and especially if it is a used boat I strongly recommend that you hire a marine surveyor to inspect the boat for you. Tell us more about your sailing experience aboard your parents boat. Maybe you need to get some personal experience sailing to figure out what you want in a boat. Good luck to you.

M

Mike Gallagher

don't forget your heart

Ann, Spend lots of time scouring boatyards, reading classifieds and looking around at the marina. At some point you will see a boat that you fall in love with, a boat that you would gladly sell your family for, a boat that becomes your obsession. when you do, buy it. Lets face it are large part of why a lot of us sail is because of the romance of it. So while being practical is important don,t let anyone make you forget your heart. Mike

T

Tom M.

Suggestions on what to look for

If You are going to be a singlehander, and sailing the Carib and atlantic coast, I look for something small and seaworthy and inexpensive, one boat come's to mind, the Pacific seacraft 1979 vintage 25 footer, She's a true dbl ender w/ outboard rudder, a cutter rig, build like a brick out house, and cost 1/4 it's value because she has only 5 foot inside cabin height, price $10 to $12K, If your not alone, then I look for a 30'to 32' seaworthy boat, such as Allied seawind, nicholson, pearson or a bristol, This will give you the available room down below, all these boats, have long keels, and most are cutter rigs, making easier and less stressful to handle, also adding to the list is the southern cross, all of these are fine bluewater boats, but for the additional 5 to 7 feet, you mak be paying dbl or tripple for them, the P.P 25 footer has a 8ft beam, and is trailerable,and comes with a diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.