New Sailor on Board - Couple of simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Clay

I recently acquired a '85 22ft Mac. After much hard work, the boat looks brand new inside and out. I've taken the boat out 6 times and just love everything about the boat, sailing, etc. I do have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me out on; (1) nowhere can I find the weight capacities (max number of people on board, etc.), and also, at what angle would I be in danger of being blown over? (I dont have an angle indicator, but have that on my short list of items to purchase). Any help would be apreciated.

J

Jeff

Common sense answers

As far as capacity, I know of few boats that specify this. Common sense will rule here. If your boat looks overcrowded, it is. I have a V21, and have sailed with five adults fairly comfortably, but I wouldn't push it much beyond that. Six might be the limit in good weather. As for the angle (heel) that approaches danger, again, common sense rules. I've had my boat severely heeled without blowing over, so I'd imagine that you'd be scared to death well before you were in real danger of capsizing. Remember, when a boat is excessively heeled, that's a sign that your sails are over-trimmed, or that you've got too much sail up in the first place. First try easing the sheets until you flatten the boat out. If that's not enough, you've probably got too much sail area for the wind conditions. Boats feel like they're going faster when they're heeled over a lot, but they really aren't. Fifteen degrees of heel is recommended for best efficiency. Look at your compass. Many of them have a built-in inclinometer.

D

Doug Rodrigues

Seat- of-the-pants

Personally, I quit looking at the angle gauge and just went with what felt was about right. I think that looking at any gauge to determine excessive heel angle subtracts from your natural sailing ability. Watching the gauge, I feel, makes control too mechanical. But for what it's worth, I think that the boat will round-up before it ever capsizes. At least that was the situation with my old Venture 2-22. The rudder would would have less and less effect as the boat heeled. Finally, the boat would pivot into the wind regardless of where the tiller was. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. The cockpits seats were too short for me. Anymore than two people on one cockpit seat, at least for me, was a crowd.

M

Mike

Well Blow Me Down

If your new to the boat you will have to safely explore its' limits. Remember that the further over you heel, the less apparent area your sail presents to the wind. It will however produce a downward force on the heeled over sail. The real problem is with strong sudden gusts that knock you down. I sail a 25 and always have the keel lock down bolt installed unless in very shallow water. If the 21 is like the 25, it probably won't self right if knocked down without the bolt in place. The keel will swing back into the trunk and loose its effectivness to right the boat. Also make sure that you have the foam flotation blocks in place. With the keel locked down my 25 will self right and float if swamped, Hasn't happened yet but it's those "yets" that get you. It's a good idea to alway sail with the main sheet in your hand when the weather is up. Also, with the wind anywhere forward of the beam, practice the simple manuever of turning into the wind when you are heeling over, it should be a second nature reflex and while you might feel the the turn will cause you to capsize it won't. Taking the wind out of her sails will really bring her back upright quick. When she starts to go over this may keep your feet dry. There is nothing like running closehauled on a beam reach, To me it's one of the great pleasures of sailing, but also the most likely situation to get me knocked down. Take the time to get to know your boat, no two sail exactly the same. Once you get to know each others limitations You'll do great. Mike

T

Todd

One way to be sure

Push it to the limit! Once you've been knocked and go into the water you wont be as worried lol. Just make sure the main sheet is not cleated and the ladder is swung down! I got lucky and snagged the rudder as the stern passed by. LOL

C

Clay

Thanks guys

I appreciate the input. So far I'm doing pretty good with it. Mike; it does have a keel lock, and I always keep the bolt in place just in case. Thanks agian! Clay

D

Doug Rodrigues

I agree with Todd and Mike

The only way for you to determine exactly how your boat will react to strong winds is to go out and experiment. Better to do that by yourself than with screaming guests aboard. Only in that way will you have the confidence of knowing exactly how your boat will react.

G

all agree but...

Dont experiment with in-experienced crew. A few older guys I know would love to pound a few beers and broach your boat from a good run for kicks. Like speeding in your car and yank the wheel to do a broadie...but the keel won't let you skid...it acts like a trip board.

Status
Not open for further replies.