New S2 ( to me :)

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
I have been looking for some time for a 30 to 35 foot for some time now and finally settled on an S2 9.2A. My first problem is moving the boat 5 hours to the lake I live on. I'm debating should I buy a trailer or pay just a bit more to have someone just haul it for me. I've moved a few sailboats before but not one this size. I've found a trailer but will need a little work like rebuilding the undercarriage and I can do that myself if in fact needed then sell the trailer.

Here is the question I have...can someone show me a picture or explain what they built for the mast to sit on while in transit? I have some ideas but I wanna know what you did and how did it work and would you do it again, thanks!

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
If you have a truck capable of pulling the boat it might be nice to have the the trailer and the ability to move the boat around to expand your cruising grounds. Otherwise, just hire someone to move it for you. Shop around however, I found well over a thousand difference in price between quotes. I ended up going with one of the cheaper quotes but mostly because he had experience with the harbors at both end of the trip and was a big help in getting the boat down to the highway height restrictions. In this case, the cheaper one was a very good deal. I would recommend him but he is in Canada so not much good to you in Texas.

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
DArcy, thank you, good advice...

I have been contemplating this decision for several days now...and this afternoon I decided that hiring someone that does this every day is going to be my best bet. I do have a 1-ton diesel truck that would move this just fine, my 5th wheel camper is 3500 lbs heavier and no problem at that weight either as long as one is paying attention and driving as they should with that kind of a load.

In my younger days, I worked for a company moving some of the biggest drilling rigs around Texas and Oklahoma and it was a lot of fun, at least for me. The difference between then and now is, I am no longer in my younger days :)

This group and forum has and is a great resource for all and very happy to be a part of it.

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
Congratulation on your new boat. S2 made a great one. Just got an 11A. Curious, with a beam of 10.25, will you have to have a special permit or is the beam not an issue. Years back a friend moved a 9.2 here in Calif and they made him have a permit and a pilot car. Hal

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
Halvern, thank you, excited about this boat. I called the Oklahoma DOT and yes, does require a permit, 43 dollars and some change, no pilot car, has to be hauled in the daytime and they pick the route you must follow.

For now, I have decided to have it hauled by a carrier. I just don't have access to a trailer but I do have a truck to haul it and have experience moving something like this. For the price of the hauling I could pay for a trailer, just cannot find one.

Mar 29, 2021
S2 36 Oakley, CA Delta
Check the local boat yards, often someone will have a trailer they don't use during sailing season. Offer to rent and return when you're finished. Have a friend that can haul up to 32 ft on his. He makes a trip to Mexico after Baha-Ha-Ha and brings a boat back. Says he has paid for the trailer several times already.
Best of luck.

Nov 10, 2018
S2 9.2a Marblehead, Massachusetts
I have been looking for some time for a 30 to 35 foot for some time now and finally settled on an S2 9.2A. My first problem is moving the boat 5 hours to the lake I live on. I'm debating should I buy a trailer or pay just a bit more to have someone just haul it for me. I've moved a few sailboats before but not one this size. I've found a trailer but will need a little work like rebuilding the undercarriage and I can do that myself if in fact needed then sell the trailer.

Here is the question I have...can someone show me a picture or explain what they built for the mast to sit on while in transit? I have some ideas but I wanna know what you did and how did it work and would you do it again, thanks!
Congrats on the boat!

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
Can anyone give me information about where to buy Bimini covers for the cockpit, please? I need the mounts, the frame, everything.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Can anyone give me information about where to buy Bimini covers for the cockpit, please? I need the mounts, the frame, everything.
Generally, you find a canvas shop in your area and they custom make it. There are good and bad shops. One way to find a good shop is to ask around at your marina.

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
For those of you that have an aft cockpit like mine, did any of you install a bimini? Given that the traveler is located on the stern with the main sheet going up to the boom at an angle, what did you design or buy? I would love to see some pictures if you can share them here, please. TIA!

Nov 10, 2018
S2 9.2a Marblehead, Massachusetts
This sailing channel (which is now defunct) was on a 9.2a and they had a Bimini...you can see it in the thumbnail for this video but for whatever reason that shot is never in the film. In any case, their channel has a lot of shots of them in the cockpit so eventually you will see the Bimini.

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
This sailing channel (which is now defunct) was on a 9.2a and they had a Bimini...you can see it in the thumbnail for this video but for whatever reason that shot is never in the film. In any case, their channel has a lot of shots of them in the cockpit so eventually you will see the Bimini.
Very helpful! Thanks!

Aug 23, 2016
N/A N/A Texas
I have been working on my 82' model 9.2 A and need some input on the following issues, please. The boat is now in a slip. This boat had been sitting close to 2 years when I purchased it from the PO. I have managed to tackle most all of the issues but still have some questions.

1. The engine is a Yanmar 2GM. The PO stated the engine will only start if the throttle is wide open. He had owned it for the last 21 years and stated to me it's always been that way. It fires right up and as soon as it starts to run, moving the throttle to the idle position works really well, typically not going over 1300 to 1500 rpm and it runs stable at 1000 rpm as it warms up. After it warms up it runs really well IMO moving the boat along at 4 to 5 knots at just around 2000 RPMs. I asked the maintenance department about it and they stated they had never seen this before and suggested leaving it alone if it works well. I was wondering if anyone else had a similar issue or some knowledge to share.

2. The glued-on carpet in the head on the ceiling and side wall where the Beckson window is, looking for suggestions as to what would be a good replacement for that material that is not carpet.

3. This boat has always been a fresh water boat if that matters regarding issues with water tank. I had been reading about the issues of the fresh water tank located in the v-berth regarding pitting and corrosion. I removed the v-berth cushions as well as the removable board just above the tank. All I could see at this point was the wood covering the tank, a one-inch round hole in the wood where the vent line was. I removed the vent and used a bore scope to inspect but was not able to see the entire inside of the tank. The tank looked clean with no signs of pitting or corrosion, just some white brittle scale here and there. There was no foul odor and the very small amount of water inside was not discolored. What is the best way to get rid of this scale so I am not fighting clogged lines to the pump and after the pump? Additionally, the next day when I returned, I had previously removed the carpet from the cabin sole to the v-berth a week before so the fiberglass floor was exposed and there was a small amount of water on the floor right at the v-berth. My additional questions are... where is the water picked up from the tank by the pump? At the bottom or side of tank down low or is the connection up high with a standpipe inside the tank? If it is a standpipe then I must have a leak at one of the seams and if not a standpipe, my guess would then be at the connection down low on either the aft or side of the tank. How is the tank attached to the boat? Is it fiberglassed in or just shaped to fit and sitting there in a box made to fit? Last question. For those of you that have removed the wood just above the tank, what did you use to cut it out with? It appears there is little to no clearance between the wood and the top of the tank.

Thanks