New Rudder?

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
Hello everyone, I need some advice regarding the rudder on my H26. The current rudder needs repair and rebuild. I am looking at the upgraded rudder and tiller package sold here for $1,249. Is it worth it?

Our current rudder has damage and performs terribly so it either needs a rebuild or needs to be replaced.

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
I won’t be at the marina till tomorrow.

my question is really how satisfied are people with upgrades rudders? Are they worth it or do they perform just like the original.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
What type of rudder did you have and what upgraded rudder are you considering? What does the supplier advertise about performance features vs. original OEM rudder? If it was my sailboat I would replace the rudder with the OEM rudder unless you need a kick up rudder then I would buy that one.

I might add that Ruddercraft repairs rudders so you might look nto that as a lower cost option: Rudder Repair Worksheet | Rudder Craft

This site Rudders - FinCo Fabrication claims their "upgraded" won't make your boat go faster, but are designed to improve handling and directional control. Foss is another ruder supplier : Replacement Rudders We Carry In Stock (newrudders.com)

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
What type of rudder did you have and what upgraded rudder are you considering? What does the supplier advertise about performance features vs. original OEM rudder? If it was my sailboat I would replace the rudder with the OEM rudder unless you need a kick up rudder then I would buy that one.

I might add that Ruddercraft repairs rudders so you might look nto that as a lower cost option: Rudder Repair Worksheet | Rudder Craft

This site Rudders - FinCo Fabrication claims their "upgraded" won't make your boat go faster, but are designed to improve handling and directional control. Foss is another ruder supplier : Replacement Rudders We Carry In Stock (newrudders.com)

The rudder on the boat is the original. It is a kick up rudder. I understand a rudder does not make the boat go faster... I am purely interested in improving handling.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ouch!! Buy the best rudder you can afford...that is what I would do it it were my sailboat.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Hello everyone, I need some advice regarding the rudder on my H26. The current rudder needs repair and rebuild. I am looking at the upgraded rudder and tiller package sold here for $1,249. Is it worth it?

Our current rudder has damage and performs terribly so it either needs a rebuild or needs to be replaced.
I have an Rudder Craft Rudder for an Hunter 26 I owned. I sold the boat 10 years ago with the original rudder and still have the Rudder Craft in my garage. Contact me if your interested in it. I used it for two months total.

Mar 12, 2021
Hunter 26 Gulfport
I have an Rudder Craft Rudder for an Hunter 26 I owned. I sold the boat 10 years ago with the original rudder and still have the Rudder Craft in my garage. Contact me if your interested in it. I used it for two months total.
I am absolutely interested! Is it just the rudder or the whole assembly? I’ll private message you

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Have privately emailed him advising repairs but needs to let rudder dry out for 4-6 weeks before repairs. Replace delrin washers or make them . Advised to look at owners manual on the line layout for the rudder line which includes a block inside. replace line with 3/8 inch but I will call him how to replace.

Not knowing the history of the 26, if you do not tie it with a seperate line in transport, that could be the probabale cause for the damage allowing the rudder to hit every time when the trailer bounces up and down as the rudder line is not sufficent and suggest if leaving up to tie it off with a seperate line anyway to prevent that from happenning while tied off to a mooring ball or slip.