New rigging 1996 MKIII

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 30 MKIII TR Roosevelt Lake, AZ
We're replacing the standing rigging on a 1996 Catalina 30 MKIII Tall Rig. The headstay and Schaefer furler were secured to the top of the mast head on the forward pin where the manual states the spinnaker block should be mounted. What happens if I mount the headstay on the next lower pin per the original design so I can fly an asymmetrical now and again? Do I have to shorten the headstay by an inch or less? Or would the turnbuckle be able to absorb the slightly shorter length to the mast head. There is a jib halyard restrainer mounted just below the jib blocks which, I presume, improves the angle of the halyard to the furler. Why would the original rigger install the headstay up higher?
Thanks, Tim

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Tim, no one here know why or what the last rigger did. If you don't, how could we? :):):)

To answer your question, I suggest a little high school trigonometry. Measure the angles and distance differences. Since you're also the only person (not us!:)) who knows how much of the threads of the turnbuckles are left, sorry, we can't answer that one either.

I assume you've checked the C30 manual to assure the proper point of connection. What you say sounds right. The halyard restrainer is a necessity for most all furlers (except ProFurls).

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
We're replacing the standing rigging on a 1996 Catalina 30 MKIII Tall Rig. The headstay and Schaefer furler were secured to the top of the mast head on the forward pin where the manual states the spinnaker block should be mounted. What happens if I mount the headstay on the next lower pin per the original design so I can fly an asymmetrical now and again? Do I have to shorten the headstay by an inch or less? Or would the turnbuckle be able to absorb the slightly shorter length to the mast head. There is a jib halyard restrainer mounted just below the jib blocks which, I presume, improves the angle of the halyard to the furler. Why would the original rigger install the headstay up higher?
Thanks, Tim
that halyard restrainer is to keep the top swivel from wrapping around the forestay when in the up position and for rigging replacement SECO south in largo fl is the best bet with good quality and prices...they were the oem people for hunter when hunter was hunter hunter has changed spar suppliers and has made a package deal with that supplier

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina 30 MKIII TR Roosevelt Lake, AZ
Thank you gentlemen, I should have mentioned the boat is on a trailer with the mast down so measuring the angles is a good idea. I know the length of the head stay, the distance from the mast to the bow and the length of the mast. Yes, I did check the manual which raised the question for me. At least it is easy to install the new rigging from Catalina Direct.
Tim