New purchase and new sailor

Sep 26, 2014
Catalina 30 mkI Herrington Harbor
image-3616991792.jpg

were getting her ready to shove off tomorrow and go up the bay. got the sails on and ready. dodger and bimini up but i might fold the bimini once were under way. i ran the engine to make sure everything is ok. paid all my dues at the marina. just need to get my crew together for the morning and were set. finally, im going to sail!

Sep 26, 2014
image-700046779.jpg

First sail went great! Absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed every minute of it. Even through some frustrating moments, it didn't faze my enjoyment. I was suppose to have a crew of four but due to the disappointing outcome of the night before (mayweather vs pacquiao), half of my crew couldn't manage to wake up in the morning. Luckily the weather was outstanding and at least one could make it to my house on time. We ran the engine out of Herrington harbor north. It ran just fine by the way. Still, I didn't want to overwork the engine so I kept the throttle low and kept watch of the spitting water out the transom. Once we made it out of herring bay, we raised the sails and headed north. Light winds kept us on an average speed of 3 knots the whole way up the bay on a broad reach. I want to say it was a perfect first sail. The weather was nice and warm. The winds were very kind. We had problems attempting to attach onto the mooring. But that just made the whole experience much more eventful.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
View attachment 87654

First sail went great! Absolutely fantastic. I enjoyed every minute of it. Even through some frustrating moments, it didn't faze my enjoyment. I was suppose to have a crew of four but due to the disappointing outcome of the night before (mayweather vs pacquiao), half of my crew couldn't manage to wake up in the morning. Luckily the weather was outstanding and at least one could make it to my house on time. We ran the engine out of Herrington harbor north. It ran just fine by the way. Still, I didn't want to overwork the engine so I kept the throttle low and kept watch of the spitting water out the transom. Once we made it out of herring bay, we raised the sails and headed north. Light winds kept us on an average speed of 3 knots the whole way up the bay on a broad reach. I want to say it was a perfect first sail. The weather was nice and warm. The winds were very kind. We had problems attempting to attach onto the mooring. But that just made the whole experience much more eventful.
Most excellant! And there was much rejoicing by all who read this thread!!!

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Congrats on your successful engine rebuild AND your first sail!
I can understand taking it easy on the newly rebuilt engine but...
Check with a diesel mechanic to determine when you can run the engine at normal cruise RPMs so as not to clog up the mixing elbow.

Sep 26, 2014
I began this thread in September. Bought a sailboat, barely knowing anything about boats or sailing. The boat sat in waiting for three years. I've managed to bring her back to life and sail her to her new home for this season. This is one of the most satisfying views I have ever seen.

image-2971085128.jpg

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I began this thread in September. Bought a sailboat, barely knowing anything about boats or sailing. The boat sat in waiting for three years. I've managed to bring her back to life and sail her to her new home for this season. This is one of the most satisfying views I have ever seen.

View attachment 87707
Just awesome. You should be pleased and proud!

Mar 10, 2015
Catalina 30 Moss Landing, CA

View attachment 87707
Congratulations J. on your impressive new skills and accomplishments!

I'm in the process of re-hab'ing an '82 C30 that except for several outings under power, lay dockside for seven years. Fortunately the MD5411 diesel was running fairly well, needing only new oil, filters, thermostat, and restoring the bypass loop in the cooling system to reach a decent operating temp. in the 55 deg. Monterey Bay waters.

I'll second Ggrizzard's comment regarding "babying" the engine once the initial run-in is over. Not only mixing elbow clogging issues, but also coking-up of the exhaust valves if exhaust temp. is kept low, with prolonged charging at low RPM's or running well below the 80% of max RPM level (2400 of the 3000 max. in the MD11) that usually prevents this. A diesel with "kid glove" treatment over time may well not to have the the power needed in a tough chance at sea.

For this and the six prior diesels, I've made a practice of running a short bit at WOT before anchorage or marina approach - something a Yanmar tech. recommended years ago.

Pete

Sep 26, 2014
I haven't been on the forum for a while now. I'm trying to start a YouTube channel called pinoy salty. Ive set a goal, 10 years from now, I want to be able to sail to the Philippines. Pinoy salty will be dedicated to sharing my experience up to that time that I can make that journey. Check it out.