NEW POST AS OF MARCH 2, 2024--Line for "boom topping lift" measured length and material required for 1989 Hunter 30 ?

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 1989 Lake Hefner, OKC
I need to replace my boom topping lift line. What would you recommend for such a line and at what length would you recommend, please? Please suggest a source for the line; when ordered, I would like to be in receipt within two weeks....This goes without saying of course; nevertheless: Good and reliable suggestions please.

Thank you,
Steve

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 1989 Lake Hefner, OKC
I have estimated that 48' will be more than meets my needs. I'm less certain about the nature of the line I should purchase (I'm guessing no streach...but that will be expensive...not sure if that would be of any real consequences.) and the diameter too as well as a good source, please,
Thank you,

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The Samson guide is an excellent helpful tool.

The question about diameter of the line for a "Boom Topping Lift" is dependent on the size of the sheaves used for your rigging.

Here is a good link to help you understand the uses of the boom topping lift. Topping Lift — Rigging Doctor

Understanding the use helps to identify the type of line you might select. For years "Double braid polyester" line has been used on boats. It is affordably priced. It has low stretch properties. Comes in varying sizes. Is easy on the hands when used. I find it a good choice for my topping lift rigging.

You can certainly spend more for "no stretch - high tech" lines or spend less for stretchy 3 strand twisted nylon line.

Length is dependent on the right angle hypotenuse formed by your Mast and boom plus the height of your topping lift the block to the deck and any extra you might need to tie it off or run the line to your cockpit. Get enough. Short is always frustrating. Extra line can be used to say replace the fender lines.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have estimated that 48' will be more than meets my needs. I'm less certain about the nature of the line I should purchase (I'm guessing no streach...but that will be expensive...not sure if that would be of any real consequences.) and the diameter too as well as a good source, please,
Thank you,
Is the topping lift just attached at the masthead? Or does it run down to a cleat at the mast? Or does it come back to the cockpit? 48’ may be enough if it is fixed at the mast head…not if it returns to the cockpit and probably not enough if it cleats off at the mast base. I ordered 90 feet for my fairly short mast (O’Day 322) for a topping lift…but mine is routed to the cockpit.

I found this on Cajun Ropes where I have purchased line before…

IMG_2984.png
it shows 40 feet…seems way to short.

On SBO, I found this manual for a 30T…
IMG_2985.jpeg

It shows 86 feet, which sounds more like it to me…

I have had good luck buying some line here on SBO, and CajunRopes.

i am sure you can call either one and get a recommendation.

Greg

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You don't need anything fancy. Optimize UV resistance. For those of us who are not familiar with your boat how is the topping lift set up? There are several different ways. My Hunter 356 had a line from the end of the boom, up to a block at the mast tip and then down the mast to a cleat. and arrangement like that would be nearly 100'. 3/8" yacht braid would be fine.
Whatever you use, it should be adjustable because the height of the boom will be different while sailing than it will be for hanging around in the cockpit.