New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Hi. I just purchased a 1979 Catalina 30 from a private owner. It has been in dry dock for 18 months, not for any reason other than the owner married someone who has a boat and they had no need to be sailing 2. It is in good condition with a few minor things that need repair or updating. If I list them, I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on where to get certain items, do-it-yourself hints, etc. I have sailed before but this is the first boat I will own! It needs the following: 1. Jib halyard 2. Compass needs replacing 3. The emergency tiller head is exposed and I assume will be painful if my calf slams into it!! 4. Deck needs some brightwork 5. CAbinet doors are in good shape but some of them (probably because of the age) are somewhat crooked. If there is anything else I should know about the Cat. 30, please tell me. I would appreciate any help!! BTW- it has a Universal Atomic 4, reconditioned in 2002. Thanks, Jack Manning

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
List

1. Jib halyard No Drama, replace the wire/rope halyard with all rope. 3/8" is big enough. 2. Compass needs replacing Easy 3. The emergency tiller head is exposed and I assume will be painful if my calf slams into it!! That is the tiller head for the real tiller. The MKI's were designed to be tiller steered, when they put wheels on them they just left the tiller head in place. 4. Deck needs some brightwork Easy 5. CAbinet doors are in good shape but some of them (probably because of the age) are somewhat crooked. Maybe nothing, maybe a semi-big deal. What cabinet doors? The most common problem on older C30's are the hanging locker doors opposite the head. The starboard chainplate bolts to a partial bulkhead on one end of the locker. If the bulkhead is shifted, it causes the doors to go out of alignment. It may also be due to how the boat is set on the stands. If the doors are still out of line when the boat is in the water, try loosening the rigging at see if the doors come back into place. If they do, check and tighten all the fasteners that hold the bulkheads to the liner. Check all the screws on all the woodwork. If the bulkheads are aligned and the screws tight, normal rig tension should not cause the doors to go out of line. Another thing to check are the main chainplates. If there has been a leak at the deck, check for dry rot around the chainplate bolts. The chainplates for the lower shrouds have seen at least three updates since 1975. Compare yours to a newer boat. You can get the parts from Catalina. Have fun! The C30 is a lot of boat for the $$$.

B

Bob

Research other Sites

Jack If you link over to the Catalina Intenational Association and go to the Technical Section, you can download a ton of technical data on your boat including wiring diagrams, plumbing, running and standing rigging, steerage, etc, etc. Original sales brochures can also be downloaded. With so many 30's made, the amount of info available on the internet to include is fantastic. Do some searches and you will be pleased to see whats out there. Bob '88 "Breezin II

P

Pat T

Great boat

I just upgraded to a Catalina 36 but had my 30 for about 8 years. If the compass is just out of fluid it can be repaired by Ritchie. I have done this with 2 boats already for about $100. If not you might spend $300 or more. And like Bob above says check out the Catalina 30 web site. Good luck.

S

Steve Maynard

Compass for sale

Jack, I have a Plastimo Contest 101 that I used one year on my old boat. My 30 has a good compass in it. I'll sell the Plastimo for $100 including shiping. I'm located in the Detroit Area. stevem99990000@yahoo.com if you'r interested. Steve

Oct 30, 2005
Catalina 30 Benicia, CA
reconditioned engine?

You said the engine was "reconditioned." I am wondering what a "reconditioned" engine is, what type of stuff is done to recondition an engine, do they soak it in something, how do they do it? :^} Larry c-30 Benicia

Status
Not open for further replies.