New owner needs advice on standing rigging

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fred Rampey

I purchased an h28.5 over the winter and am looking forward to launching in about a month. Prior to that I was a J24 sailor - so the h28.5 seems like a bit of a floating condo and will take some getting used to. The boat has new ProFurl jib furler with a new 130 genoa. The main is original equipment (circa 1988) with partial battens. There several things missing for the standing rigging that I am used to having: 1) a boom vang 2) a backstay tensioner 3) a larger genoa 4) a spinaker With a sail this big on a mountain lake, the lack of a vang seems the most urgent situation to deal with. I would think that going off the wind the main would get easily overpowered in a 25-30 knot gust. Advice on this and possible recommendations on a vang, vang mounting, etc I am told the backstay tensioner is not much good with a roller furler. I am a J24 sailer am have not have much experience with roller furlers in general. Backstay tension is very important in a fractional rig one-design to control excessive heel. Do not know about mast head rigs like this, though. I am looking for to easier sailing but am used to using the backstay and traveler to "gear down" when then wind comes up hard and fast. Advice on this? The absence of a larger genoa and a spinaker is no big deal right now, but I was thinking of looking at asymetrical spinakers or "genakers" for light wind and off wind runs possbily with a whisker pole. Anyone tried this? recommendations on sail dimensions, vendors? pole dimensions, mounting?

J

Jim McCue

easier rigging

I've been on a J boat out of Larchmont CC on Long Isand Sound. You will find the 28.5 alot simpler. I have not needed or missed a backstay tensioner.Just feel the fight load on your wheel in tuning the rake. A little helm load with a back rake is good as it could make for a "deadman" and help turn up in the wind. You'll also want to pin your traveller center to slightly windward in order to put a twist in the main and spill excess out at the top of the sail rather than burying you toerailsand healing 35degrees. Good luck J. McCue J. McCue

E

Eric

Rigging

I would recommend a boomvang and as long as you are spending the money, I have heard the Garhauer rigid vang is reasonable and well made and not much more than a block arrangement. Backstay adjuster is easy to put together out of cataloges, JSI, West etc. Some of the earlier 28.5s came with a 4:1 purchase on the main. I would recommend a 6:1. Check Harken web site for variations. You can use the old mainsheet blocks as a vang or backstay adjuster. Spinnaker is real nice. Remember the sweptback spreaders work best when tacking downwind. Do that until you get a chute. Whisker pole may be a nice compromise. Sew chaffing patches on main where spreaders hit. Also, if mast is down, now is the time to tune the rig. Check archives if you don't have a manual. Good luck and you will find theboat as easy to sail as a J24.

J

J. Russell

Powering the 28.5

I have owned a h28.5 for about a year and I am also still learning what this boat will and will not do. One thing for sure is that it likes light air. twenty-five to 30 knots winds are generally more the this boat can handle, without significant reefing and done early. Winds over 15 knots will bury the toe rail and you will loose speed dramatically. The boat sails best with a 10-15 degree heal. Yes to the boom vang and backstay tension adjuster, they are both helpful. A two blade folding martec prop will add about 40 seconds per mile. I also have not yet purchased an "geneker", but its on my list. Otherwise its a great boat, but its not a performance/racing boat like a J/30.

A

Alan Claunch

Vang suggestion

I added a vang to my 28.5 but found it lacking; and I still had to put up with the topping lift. Last year I got a Boomkicker 1500 for about $160. It's easy to install, seems to make the vang tackle work more efficiently and replaces the topping lift. Look for discounts in the JSI or Defender catalogs. I have an asymmetrical spinnaker for my conventional (hank on) headstay. I run the sheets to blocks aft on the toerail and then cleat the line off on the aft cleats or on the winches. I works great in light air and really keeps you moving. Mine came with the boat and was made by Neil Pryde. PS I sail in the mid-lower Chesapeake Bay.

R

rick crockett

have done it all and some!!

yes, i've added all of the items and then some! they all help the boat sail much better. the spinnaker really makes sailing off the wind fun!! i race my boat in melbourne fla, and out of port canerval int he ocean. i replaced the traveler with a harken, one of the best things i did. i have hank on sail's(155,135,110). i have 4:1 line vang but am looking forward to a rigid vang this summer. yes, bringing the travel above center line(6") really does help and i play the travelor constantly upwind because the boat can be a little tender. anyway, good luck and good sailing!!

F

Fred Rampey

Thanks to all for the quick advice

Hey, I love this web site. It is great to hear from all of you Hunter 28.5 owners. Guess I need to dig into the wallet and start adding all the toys I used to have on the J24. One more question: The wheel is missing a lock-down screw on the binnacle. There is just a hole there. Did something fall out?

M

Mark Dixon - UK sailmakers

H-28.5 toys

I used to own a 28.5 (years ago). For the most part, a backstay adjuster will do the same thing on a frac. boat as it will on a mast head boat. A Boom kicker with an 8:1 purchase will do you well on the vang (I just put one on my new boat). Fundamentally, there's not much difference in sail shape controlls from what you're used to. P.S. a roller furler works better with less sag in the headstay. Mark.

F

Fred Rampey

thanks, Mark

Thanks, Mark, I had not heard from anyone else on the roller furler/backstay tensioner question. Pardon me if I do not know what a "boom kicker" is - I am still a fairly new sailor - is that a rigid vang that can also elevate the boom?

D

Dave McIlveen

28.5 Wheel Brake

Fred: Is the hole you are referring to on the starboard side of the binnacle at wheel spindle level? If so , this is for a wheel brake which is available from the HOW Emporium. Dave McIlveen 28.5 "Osprey"

Status
Not open for further replies.