New Outboard Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 2, 2004
- - Camanche Lake, CA
Well I finally decided to replace my old 2 stroke outboard with a new 4 stroke. I've used a 4hp for years but have always felt it was a little under powered. I was wondering what size motors others are using on their boats or what Catalina recommends for the C22. I was looking at the Honda 5hp and the Merc 6hp. Any body had experience with either of these?

T

Tom Schonrhorst

Catalina Outboard Power

I have had satisfactory auxiliary power with a 5 hp 4-stroke Tohatsu. I think the 5 hp Honda would be more than adequate. I wish I had opted for the Honda when I bought my boat instead of saving a few bucks on the Tohatsu.

O

Ole RB

Honda 5 HP Long Shaft

The 5 hp is just about right as far as I'm concerned. I believe Catalina recommends 4-6 HP. The 4 stroke is better on gas, no mixing, and can be used on just about any lake you want to sail.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
mercury, nissian and tohatsu

Just so you don't make the same mistake a friend did, the Mercury and Nissan four strokes are made my Tohatsu and the prices are very different. merc being about 6 boat bucks higher than the nissan the tohatsu just a bit cheaper than the nissan most places. Other than the paint there identical. I bought the nissan 5hp and it pushes the boat at hull speed at 1/2 throttle well pleased.

A

Aldo

Tom: Why do you feel that way?

Tom: We had a Honda 5 HP on our boat as a loaner about 2 summers ago, while our old Johnson 6 HP, 2 stroke, was in the shop being repaired. The Honda did some things very well, like have great backing-up power, and great fuel consumption, but it was REALLY heavy. Also, our boat lost about 1/2 knot per hour with this motor. This doesn't sound like much, but we were on about a 35 mile trip, so 1/2 knot per hour while motoring did make a difference. Another thing that it did was sometimes when going to start it, it would pull back on the pull cord and just about rip your arm right out of the socket. I experienced this a few times and my son did too. If I was going shopping, I would start with the Nissan, Tohatsu, or Mercury. If one was cheaper and white in color, that would be my preference. Also, I would try to get one before they put the stickers onto the motor cover if possible. (I actually painted my cover white, (to match my motor), because I didn't like seeing Johnson painted on it in orange letters. So, out of curiosity, what don't you like about your 5 HP Tohatsu? Thanks, Aldo

T

Tom Schonrhorst

Tohatsu Negs

I don't like the fresh water flush system on the Tohatsu. Requires a special tool as opposed to the "mickey mouse" ears attachment that works on most other outboards. Also, service locally is more readily available for the Hondas. I realize these are subjective points and I did not mean to dis the Tohatsu.

K

ken

nissan

As Tom indicated, to flush the Tohatsu/Nissan you need a special tool. But I constructed a homemade version that works great and only cost about $2. Email me off list and I will send you a picture if interested. I have used a Nissan 8 HP(made by Tohatsu) for 3 years now... performs flawlessly! ken in sacramento kennybc22@yahoo.com

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
C22 Engine Size

We had a 7.5 HP Mercury on our C22 on SF Bay. The area that you sail in will dictate how much HP you need. A quiet lake you can use an eggbeater. A big lake with waves and wind maybe a 4 to 6. Big saltwater bays with currents, go as big as you can. Stu

B

Bob B.

Has anyone used the Power Thruster

could you please comment on any improvement or not regarding OB performance. I am aware of the advertised improvements but would like to hear from a user. I use a 7.5 HP long shaft Evinrude on a C22 & have more power than I need for lake sailing. Thanks, Bob B.

Jul 8, 2004
- - Pinedale, WY
Flushing Tohotsu

One way to flush without the special tool is to put a large bucket of water on blocks beneath engine when boat is on trailer, lower engine, run a fresh water hose into bucket, and start engine. Works fine with my old Honda 9.9. Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.