New or Used Beneteau-Which offers the best value?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Barry

Looking to purchase my first boat. Brand new or nearly new (3 -5 years) Which offers the best value? Just how much will a new Beneteau depreciate in the first few years? Do they hold their value in the long term? Will a 5 year old excellent condition Beneteau continue to depreciate or will its price hold? (as long as it is maintained and kept spotless). Thank you

S

Steve

New or used Beneteau

I think you're better off focusing on the utility it will provide you rather than what you may or may not recoup down the line. Right now demand is strong but there's a lot on the market too. But if things turn south suddenly you'll see a lot more boats and a lot fewer buyers, so prices can drop. I would not expect the depreciation from 5 to 10 years to be as fast as 0 to 5 years, but it won't be much slower. Consider how you'll feel five years from now - the experience remains long after the price is forgotton.

Jan 18, 2004
Beneteau 321 Houston
New or Used?

Barry, No one can really make that decision for you. It depends on so many factors that none of us are privy to. There is nothing that beats the shakedown voyage of a shiny new sailboat. From a purely financial standpoint, a good used vessel will give you the same satifaction as a new one for fewer bucks. I have went through this exercise twice and USED has won out both times. If you study the subject carefully, for in-demand production boats, the depreciation curve seems to favor the well maintained 6 or 7 year old vessel.

C

Charlie Gruetzner@beneteauopwners.net

New or Used

Barry A good used boat will save you some money. Just make sure that you get a good surveyor to go over it with you. I have always told people that have asked me the same question when they are considering buying a boat that if theis is there first boat to buy new. there won't be any real mechanical or other problems and they have the time to learn about the boat before some might start. If you are mechanically inclined and know how to repair and maintain a boat go for the used good luck Charlie

Jun 1, 2004
Beneteau 393 Newport
New without a doubt

Choose a used model that you want; add the cost of the equipment that you would want (if you had the option to add as with a new boat); add the cost of the survey, repairs and unforseen problems; finally, add the cost of the replacements in a three to five year period that would not be necessary with a new boat such as sails. You will quickly realize that the cost of a new boat is much less than previously thought. A new boat also has the advantage of a warranty on all of the systems and the boat. Should anything go wrong in the first year, it is not your problem, not so for a used boat. Jim

B

Brian

Another question regarding new Beneteau

Two questions re: buying new Beneteau> There are a number of 2004 leftovers. The price has already been reduced on a boat like the 331. How much haggling room may remain. And how much price reduction might I expect on a 2005. I've seen a range of prices on the same options. Finally, I am in the isolated part of the upper Chesapeake. There is one large marina and it sells Hunters and Catalinas> If I purchase a new Beneteau in Annapolis or NJ (i live in PA), am I correct in assuming that to get warranty service done I will have to have it done by the company in Annapolis. A dumb question: do they come to me or do I have to have it towed to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.