Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
Greetings,
I just joined this group, as I am getting ready to install an ICOM 802 SSB radio in my 2006 Hunter 45 CC, in Alamitos Bay, Long Beach. I have been reading some of the recent posts and am confused if I need to install a Dynaplate or not. I have read many pros and cons, and thus need some professional advice. Since my boat does not have a backstay, I will be installing a 23' whip antenna, on the transom and the tuner in the lazerett as close as possible to the base of the antenna. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
S/V Sooooo Lucky
Long Beach

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Greetings and welcome Jeff
Although some people do substitute a dynaplate for a proper counterpoise, it is designed intended only as a DC ground, not an RF ground (i.e., counterpoise). In other words, it won't hurt and might work marginally but you really don't need it for this purpose.

Some folks here have installed a KISS system counterpoise you can check out on in an internet search or simply ran a wire from the tuner grnd to a thruhull or other underwater metal.

The only generalization that is true is that all boats and all systems differ so my suggestion is forget the dynaplate and try something like the KISS or using one thruhull and see if the performance is adequate for your needs. It can always be improved upon if you want with a larger counterpoise such as foil around the hull but most find that overkill.

Mar 12, 2008
Jeanneau 49 DS San Pedro, CA
Hi Jeff, welcom to the group!

I've used both the copper foil to a thru hull on my Hunter 40.5 and used a KISS on my new boat. The two methods have really worked well for me, with maybe a slight edge to the KISS. Installation was clean and simple as well, so I'm a fan of the KISS. I'm not a great fan of the dynaplate, as it requires more holes in the bottom of the boat.

I'm just over the Vincent Thomas Bridge if you want to swing over sometime and check out the radio. The KISS and the tuner are both hidden behind panels in my port aft lazerette, so there is not much to see. Just let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.