New Mainsail

NCBrew

Feb 22, 2010
Hunter Hunter Legend 35.5 9335 Albemarle Plantation, NC
I am thinking of purchasing a new Neil Pride Mainsail.
Does anyone have any comments on Neil Pride sails?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Neil Pryde makes the OEM sails for Beneteau, or at least they did for several years. I’d say they’re fine. I’m sure they also make fancier cloths and cuts than the OEM. In general I think the loft you’re working with probably matters more than the brand.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Find a loft who will help to measure your boat and build sails to your boat and a type of sailing you intend to sail.

There are many boats with sails “OEM” that fit like grandma’s bloomers. You want the sails to fit your boat, which might include changes made by previous Owners. You want a reefing system that works for you. If you day sail and spend the occasional 5 day trip in predicable weather, there is little or no need for sails with 3 sets of reef points. Save the money and buy upgraded cloth or cut.

Only happens if the loft is doing the job, helping you to Taylor the sails to you and your boat.

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Neil Pryde has a decent reputation; I wouldn't hesitate working with them. But completely agree with @jssailem that whoever you decide to go with, get your boat measured for its new sail(s). My Hunter 36 had a nonstandard measurement when the Quantum rep came down to the boat 2 years ago. No reason to suspect it should've been anything other than "factory", and I'm only the second owner with nothing outwardly indicated any modification, etc. If I'd ordered the sail "OEM" I'd have had to get the brand new sail recut to fit my rig at my own expense. If there's a Neil Pryde rep around your area hopefully they'll agree to measure you up. You can probably do it yourself - some of the online sailmakers provide very detailed directions on how to do it. Good luck.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I used a loft (North Sails in Chicago) when I needed a new main sail. The sales rep came out and measured, and we talked about my desire for full battens and he recommended a Tides Marine Strong Track, which I ordered.

I installed the Strong track myself as well as bending on the sail when it came.

I was very happy with everything, except the fact that the headboard hits the topping lift. I basically have to tack, then drop the sail a few inches to get the headboard under the topping lift, and then crank the sail back up.

In retrospect, I would have wanted to shorten the sail by those few inches so I don’t catch the topping lift every time I tack…I worry about damaging the sail (or chafing through the topping lift).

After ordering 1 new sail from a loft, I am probably confident in ordering one on-line.

Greg

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
I just did this for the first time and, given that I won't be owning this boat more than 2-3 more years, decided to go with Far East Sails and measure myself.

The sails should be shipping in the next few days.

I confess to being a little nervous but we will see.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I ordered a new jib from Far East this spring. Very happy with the sail.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I have a Neil Pryde main. Full battens, with a Tides Marine Strong Track. Works well. I have mixed feelings about the stack pack. Will attach a photo later.

Jan 7, 2011
I have a Neil Pryde main. Full battens, with a Tides Marine Strong Track. Works well. I have mixed feelings about the stack pack. Will attach a photo later.
I really like my Stack Pack…. I can drop the sail, tuck it in the bag, and have it zipped closed before I get the boat back in the slip. In light air, I often pull the lazy jacks all the way to the mast and drop the pack so I can get full,use of the loose-footed main. I really have no issues raising the sail between the lazy jacks…just get the boat pointed into the wind and raise the sail…even single-handed.

Greg

Nov 21, 2012
I really like my Stack Pack…. I can drop the sail, tuck it in the bag, and have it zipped closed before I get the boat back in the slip. In light air, I often pull the lazy jacks all the way to the mast and drop the pack so I can get full,use of the loose-footed main. I really have no issues raising the sail between the lazy jacks…just get the boat pointed into the wind and raise the sail…even single-handed.
Greg, if I could pull the stack pack out of the way I'd be wholeheartedly in favor. I'm probably going to have to make new lines so I can do that.

Jan 7, 2011
Greg, if I could pull the stack pack out of the way I'd be wholeheartedly in favor. I'm probably going to have to make new lines so I can do that.
I will try to get a photo or take a little video next time I am out.

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
I found this photo that may help explain what I do…

On my pack, I can unhook the top 2 securements to the mast, which lets my pack drop down. Then I uncleat the line that tensions the lazy jacks. Once it is loose, I gather the 4 lazy Jack lines ( only 3 showing in this photo), starting with the aft-most line, walking towards the bow, and gathering them as I move forward. The lazy Jack line is long enough that I can collect all 4 lines and lead them parallel to the boom.
I roll the mackpack cover down to the boom level, and wrap the end of the lazy Jack line ( or a bungee or whatever) to keep it from falling on the deck. Repeat on the other side.

This gets the jacks and cover out of the way, and the loose-footed sail can have a full shape all the way down to the bottom edge.
Admittedly, I only go to the trouble of moving the Mack Pack out of the way on light wind days when I need all of the draft in the sail. If it is windy, I don’t bother.

310A7B27-4A7C-4253-9B83-A2A386C9C233.jpeg

Greg

Nov 21, 2012
Greg, thanks for that picture. You have the Mack pack. I'd like to make the Pryde pack that I have work more like yours. I think I can improve it with different rigging.

I saw a Mack pack up close at the Wooden Boat Festival and I have some ideas.