New Mainsail or Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2011
Lancer 28 Collin Park Marina
I was out sailing yesterday and ripped my Mainsail. The rip is fairly large, wondering, since I am new to sailing, should I bite the bullet and purchase a new Main or try to have mine repaired?

What would the pro's and con's of each be.

Thank you for the help.

PS. does anyone have a good resource for either? I am in Dallas, TX

May 29, 2009
Lancer 27ps Suisun City
mainsail rip

If the sail material is ripped, bite the bullet, if a seam is blown out you can have it resewn but have the entire sail resewn, not just that single seam. Sails are available used from many sources, one is Minnies, not sure about a web address but a search should find it. you need to know the luff and foot length and type of attachment, number of reefs, type and number of battens to buy the correct sail. This method won't get you the perfect sail for your boat but probably one that will work, depends on your budget. A new set of sails is expensive but you can consult with the sailmaker and get the best sail for your boat and sailing preferences.
Good luck

Rich

Jul 26, 2011
Lancer 28 Collin Park Marina
Thank you Packman! I looked up the site and it's http://www.minneysyachtsurplus.com/

How is Suisun City these days, I used to live in Vallejo and actually purchased my last boat from Suisun City Marina, a 25' Owens, love boating in San Pablo Bay and Delta area.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Another option would be to purchase a new to you main sail. That would be used in the non-pc world. There are a couple of sites that sale used sails. All you would need is the dimensions of the sail. Most sites will have your boat info with the sail dimensions.

Good luck.

May 29, 2009
Lancer 27ps Suisun City
Suisun seems to be getting too big for it's britches, we had our first drive by shooting last year, not the sleepy little place it used to be. We blame it all on Fairfield, oldtown and the marina are pretty nice, best breakfast ever at Babs Delta Diner
Good luck on your sail
Cheers

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.