New Main, to many choices

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 518 Buffalo
Chingaletta is not even on the hard yet and already I am thinking about next season. I think it's about time to replace the original 1990 main with new but I don't know what all the stuff means so I will defer to the great minds of Capri 22. net.

What I have: Sail # 513, 1990 standard rig, winged keel, racing package, new roller furling 155 head, original main.

How I use it: Just cruise about the eastern end of lake erie. Not uncomfortable in big wind with a reef or big water. The lake kicks up some crap being so shallow. We do like to get the boat to go as fast as it can and try to look good while doing it.

What I want: New main with a standard reef point and ties

What I have to figure out:
Loose foot or bolt rope and why
6.5 dacron or something more high tech
Standard battens, 2+2 (top 2 full, bottom standard) or 4 full
I think I understand the short bottom battens give me more control over the shape. Do I need that because full battens look cool.
Draft Stripe
Where to buy

Thanks for the input,
Curt

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Quantum makes decent dacron for the Capri 22... but then so does North. Rolly is an inexpensive choice... as is FX, and Mauri Pro.. Honestly if you just want newer rags.. the catalina direct prices aren't bad.
Most of the rest is preference...

I'd say partial batten, loose foot... the loose foot is helpful to allow easier outhaul adjustment.

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Curt;

I have a 1988 # 297 standard rig, wing keel boat. I put a new sail on it this year. I ordered from FX Sails last November. and it arrived in April this year. Sail has slides ( as my old sail had them), loose footed, full top batten, dacron, no reefing points and sail number. I agree that with a loose footed main, it is easier to adjust the outhaul.

I am not a serious PHRF racer. Big name sails would cost around $1200. I could not see spending that money on a boat I paid $4,000 for.

If the wind gets to where the main and the 110 jib are too much, then it is time to take them down, and motor in.

Cost was $600, included shipping.

I am very pleased with the workmanship and their way of installing the battens is the best I have seen.
Too difficult to describe, but works great.

I had purchased a Rolly Tasker main for my San Juan 21 a few years earlier. They made a mistake ( their fault). I returned the main for repair and I paid the return shipping. Since it was their error I felt they should have paid the shipping. I suggested they put sail numbers on the sail and we would call it even. They refused ..... So every chance I get to "bad mouth" them, I do. If a customer is happy, they will tell 10 other people. If a customer is pissed, they will tell 100. You are about # 5

Hershey.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
This past Spring, I bought new Ullman mainsail and 135% foresail from Catalina Direct.
Mainsail has full battens and loose foot.

Night and day difference from the old sails which probably were originals.
I am very happy with the purchase and the performance.

Jul 22, 2013
Catalina Capri 22 Mk II Salem Harbor
JEPomer said:
This past Spring, I bought new Ullman mainsail and 135% foresail from Catalina Direct.
Mainsail has full battens and loose foot.

Night and day difference from the old sails which probably were originals.
I am very happy with the purchase and the performance.
Same here; bought them in 2012 and still happy.
foot loose wooster

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Well it looks like a loose footed main is im order. Possibly a full batten set up more than likely full at top and 3 standard. New dacron seems to be well suited to my needs. Now to research the sail makers. Thanks for the input, it is always helpful.

Cheers,
Curt

Anypne going to the Annopolis sail show next weekend?

Aug 27, 2013
Is there a sailmaker near you? If there is this may be the most practical and economical choice. Nothing against the big box sail lofts but you will pay a premium for it. Not a big fan of FX primarily because they are manufactured overseas. The cheaper price is due to lower manufacturing costs due to cheap labor. You can get as good a deal if not better if you have a custom made sail by a local sailmaker. They will give good advice and will typically come out and do measurements for a custom fit. If it isn't just right you haul it straight back for any adjustments and don't have to deal with shipping hassles.

I recommend Dacron unless you are going to do some hardcore racing. Slugs over a bolt rope for the same reason. Loose foot.

If it blows hard consistently in your area full battens are a plus. A full batten main will flatten better therefore reducing the necessity to reef. One reef point and a Cunningham is all you will need for a std rig.

If you do go with a custom mainsail from a local loft, I would seriously consider whacking up to 10 inches off the luff of the sail. Yes this does reduce sail area but what you lose in S/A you will gain considerably in comfort and safety as this gets that CP22 cockpit sweeper up out of the dang cockpit. I am on my second CP22 and I absolutely hated that low boom. I have a new mainsail this year on my tall rig and had 10 inches removed from its overall height and have not looked back. Great fit; had my local sailmaker from Gus Sails come and do all the measurements and am very happy with the results. He also built me a blade and a 135 that absolutely rock but that's another story. Oh and did I say price competitive? About $900 bucks for my main out the door.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Fandango 1099 TRFK

Curt

Jun 6, 2010
Hey Chris,

Good info as is always the on this forum, thanks for adding to it.

Actually there is an Ullman loft at Obershimer Sailor Supply right in town. A stock Ullman for my standard rig is just under $1200.00. A bit steep but buying local does have it's advantages. Loose foot is my plan and the cloth will be a Dacron of some sort. As for battens, one ful on top and the 3 remaining may be standard or slightly longer. In Buffalo when it blows, it blows hard. Not a lot to slow the wind between here and Toledo, but we have a our fare share of light wind at times throughout the season. I do think full battens look damn nice though.

As for hacking off 10 inches, doubt that will happen on Chingaletta's standard rig. 10 inches off of a tall rig rag about equals a standard rig. When it blows I reef the main and roll out as much head as needed to keep the speed without fighting the helm or dragging a rail. If anything I would see what could be done to maybe square the head to raise the boom a few inches. At 6'1" I don't have much of an issue with the boom but a few more inches of clearence would not be a bad thing.

We are heading to Annapolis next weekend to look at boats we will never buy and see if I can catch a delivery ride to Ft. Lauderdale. I plan on checking out whatever lofts are represented to see what they have to offer.

Cheers,
Curt _/)