New main sail Mac 26D 1988

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mario Langlois

Hi ! I am getting a new main sail for my boat. The manufacturer wants to know if there is any room between the backstay and the back of the main sail so he could make it a little bigger at the foot or rounder going up for more area. My boat is stored under a tarp and snow for the winter... Anyone out there (southern USA) still have the mast up could give me an estimate of the average distance available so the batten or the back of the main doesn’t get cought or chafed on the stay when a tack the main. I know there is about 8 to10in. at the boom level but I never noticed further up... Help ! _/)~~ ~~~~~~

W

Wayne

New Mac Sail 26D

Some of the Macgregor owners have put an extension on their chickenhead (fitting at top of mast) to extend the attachment point for the backstay, in order to make room for a full batten main. I have the top two battens full, and temporarily tie the foot of my backstay off to the stern rail to get the additional clearance. When I set up an adjustable backstay, I will add a 4 to 6 inch extension to the chickenhead at the same time. I have a Mac 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.