New J/9 Sailboat

May 12, 2020
Catalina 275 Sport 31 Quincy Bay
I'm guessing many of you have seen the ads for the new J/9 sailboat. Seems like it's very similar in design to the Catalina 275. They boast better performance under mainsail only compared to other boats using main and jib. Curious to know people's take on the J/9.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
I own a J/88 and if I was to buy another boat it would almost certainly be another J. They are well built, fast, and sorted. Everything is where it should be and works as expected. Did I mention fast?
Sailing under main, jib, or a combination is amazingly easy though the best fun is certainly had with all the sails up.

Jun 6, 2016
Catalina 275 Wilmette, IL
I like the looks of it and I'm sure it would smoke a C275 upwind, but I see three issues that would give me pause to swap. The first is that every picture shows the helmsman sitting in the middle of the bench. It's common for me to sail with four guests, which on the C275 is easy and I'm behind the traveler. Here you would be between the guests and I would wonder if the aft guests would get in the way of the swinging tiller? Second, in typical J fashion, the head is an after thought. I'd take the C275 head configuration any day over J/9's or any J in this size range. This is one of the biggest reasons I hesitate on the J/95. I'm not even convinced there is a sink on this boat. And lastly, no pole on the bow. I like using the asym and thinking of adding a code 0 or similar to make reaching on the lighter days more enjoyable.

Kind of makes me think of an Alerion 28 and maybe that's the market J is competing for. Both are pretty, but in the end, it just doesn't quite do it for me. If J would take the C275 and make it faster, I'd be in.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My first thought just looking at the picture was Alerion 28.
J usually has it's finger on the market. I'm thinking they do now too. It's a great looking boat. I assume it sails sportily and having the option of sailing main only, or main and jib is appealing. I don't know about the asymmetrical and sprit but I'm guessing it's an option.
The boat seems optimized for a day sail because that's what most of us do.
I like it.

Jul 24, 2021
Catalina 250WK Osterville
I was about to order a 275, but then test-sailed the J/9. I ordered one last fall and it will arrive this fall -- to sail next spring.

My current boat is a Catalina 250 and have been very happy with it. We used to stay on the boat on overnight sails to MV, but after the kids grew we day sail only. The J/9 is optimized for day sailing. The head is okay for a day sail, but I agree it would be annoying for an overnight stay. The J/9 is optimized for in-cockpit sailing (no hiking) and can be equipped (as the 275) with a self-tacking jib. Everything is simplified.

The cockpit is huge. I think I will prefer not having to jump over the traveler to get to the jib winches, but I never got a chance to test sail a 275, so I am not sure. The pole on the bow is an option.

For a really fast boat, check out the Saffier SE27.