New Irwin 34 owner here! Common rpairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

Bought an Irwin 34. Couldn't resist the price. I like the looks and I've read the posts. The roller furler is shot. OK, what should I look for beyond a chafed cenerboard pennant, rudder problems, and the abundant leaks which need to be addressed around portlights and hatches? Clues about chain plates would be apriciated.

T

Tom Akin

Time to assess the damage.

Well, it's in the driveway and all the damage I expected, was there. One can only shake one's head in disbelief, that P.O.'s would have let the portlights on their $25,000 boat leak, year after year, rather than buy $20 worth of gaskets for the ports. It boggles the mind. The plywood around 4 ports will be swept away with a brush. It's closer to potting soil than wood. The deck apears to be solid, to my suprise. There is some rot around the bow and stern pulpets, but not serious damage. To my delight, the hull is sound and solid. Not a blister in sight. Lucky me. The motor must be original, with uncounted hours on it. All the running gear, of what-ever kind, lines, batteries, cushions, etc. is nearing the end of it's service life. It will be a long, long, restoration project. The chain plates seem solid, just the usual leaks where they pierce the deck. SO the list is clear: Rebed the pulpets and chain plates, replace 1/4 of the wood below decks, new cushions, rewire most of the boat, replace most of the running gear, and I should be good to go. For $8K, not too bad, as I enjoy most of the projects.

Dec 8, 2007
Irwin 41 CC Ketch LaConner WA
Blisters

Tom: If you bought the boat after it had been on the hard for a while, most blisters will dry out and not be redily apparent. I bought a boat with the ugliest bottom I had ever seen, 2000+ blisters but I negotiated 25K off the asking price so I went for it. After the boat sat on the hard waiting for other repairs much to my amazement you could hardly find them. Once back in the water they of course returned. Scott

T

Tom

Dry Storage.

Hi Scott. My 34 had been in the water since June. I saw it about 6 hours after is was hauled out in November. Not a blister in sight. In the northeast, most boats are dry stored and have 5 months or so to dry out every year. Perhaps this prevents them. I have a 1975 O'Day 25 with a perfect bottom as well. I assume you've re-gelcoated your hull by now and you're on to other projects. I'm in the planning stage now. What improvements and such have you embarked on? Most eveything on my Irwin need some kind of attention and I'm looking to brainstorm some. I'm really in need of inexpensive portlights. I've got a feeling that's like trying to find discount gold bullion... Any insights you might have would be most welcome! Tom

Dec 8, 2007
Re: Dry storage

Hi Tom: No I havent delt with the bottom yet and will most likly wait till next winter. I have my hands full with other issues myself. I have to install a new transmition, figure out why my cabin lights don't work or the electric heads, replace the bonding plate and one thru hull. I have already Striped, etched,primed and repainted both masts, booms and spinicker pole. They just went back up last week and they look brand new which now makes the rest of the boat look a little shabby I Had a small area under the mitzen mast deck step, soild cored and about 3/8" of concavity taken out, that was the only moist area found on the boat and a stressed area of the hull repaired from what looked like a fun in with a dock. Next I will take all sails into the loft to have inspected and any repairs made. I also have two ports needing rebedded, and 3 cabin sole inspection covers that need to have better supporting system then the couple of solid wood blocks screwed in from the bottom side of the sole,as they have broken down on one side, Im not sure what I will do there , either to go back with wood or use aluminum. I have both a wood and small metel shop. The blisters were all small and very shallow so unless were heeled over hard and someone is way to close no one will know they are there but me. The riggers just cut all the cables when they pulled the sticks in San Deigo so I have to probably pull all new Radar,GPS ,weather and instrment cables. This really fried my bacon and had I not had to pay them in advance I would not have. I have spliced every thing togather but havent had time yet to fire everything back up to see if they are going to work properly or if everthing will now have interferance. As far as used ports go try "Sailerman.com" in Florida ( I dont know how to paste a link yet in this fourm ) Stiff Winds, Scott

T

Tom

Workshops

Probably the most important asset for owning an older boat, the Workshop! My inspection hatches are delaminating and probably will be replaced with plywood. I really like the look of teak amd holly, but I have to do this in stages. Watertight first. Thanks for the tip on portlights. I'll go check 'em out. Your report on cut cables sends a chill up my spine. I hate connectors. In the salt water environment, splices are going to fail, eventualy. Those yard people can be a pain. They charged me more to haul the boat out of the water and wash it, than it cost to deliver it from Conn. to Maine! Here I can have the boat hauled out, mast taken down, washed, stored for the winter, mast restepped, and launched in the spring, for about $975. In their defence, the did a good job preventing any damage of the antique Dyna-furl system, but really, not $1400 worth of service! Well, I never thought this would be an inexpensive pastime anyway. We get some thick fog out here. I never considered radar before, but its beginning to sound like a good idea. As my investment increases, the idea of staying off the rocks sounds prudent. However, my mantra must remain, " Watertight first... Watertight first..." Tom

Dec 8, 2007
I concur

about the spliced cables, but likewise I have other areas to spend the funds right now. I'm out for the winter so am concentrating on inerior projects. How ever when I do get around to testing them if they dont produce a good signal I will most likly replace them before relaunch as going aloft and making connections is a lot easer when on the hard then swinning back and forth at the dock. Added: I have no heat in my shop however so being out there this time of year is no fun either. It's a 36x48 foot freezer

Status
Not open for further replies.