new interior walls & ceiling for seidelmann37?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vincent

I am refitting the main salon of my 37, i am doing the walls with a nice oak vener stained , i would like some addvice on the ceiling head liner and the area around the windows? thanks vincent

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Vincent, What do you expect of the new head liner?

Do you want soft or do you want wood? You can remove the windows and put the new finish behind the frames or you can work carefully around the frames. While you have the head liner out, do you have as many handholds overhead as you want? This would be a good time to add them. Your Post raises more questions than it asks.

W

Wes Bellamy

Possible Headliner Solutions

Vincent, My solution was to strip out the old headliner and use a stiff brush to remove the residue. All screws and fasteners were removed, all screw holes were filled with 5200 and a coat of waterproofing paint was sprayed in. The paint was to create a stable base for the subsequent adhesive. In the main cabin, the plywood panels were removed and used as templets for cutting new ceiling panels. This was because it was simpler to make new panels than to clean the old ones. The old panels were spot glued with hot glue and trimmed with a router. The new panels were sprayed with the waterproofing paint mainly to create a consistent substrate for the glue. Marine vinyl and regular car headliner material was purchased at JoAnn's Fabrics. The panels and underside of the car headliner material were sprayed with Permatex Heavy Duty Headliner & Carper Adhesive and set aside for five or ten minutes. The headliner material was lined up, laid onto the panel and a paint roller with a thin nap was used to press the material down onto the panel and excess was trimmed off. Next, the headliner material and the underside of the marine vinyl was sprayed with the adhesive, allowed to dry for a time and the vinyl was laid down and rolled with the paint roller. The panels were flipped over and a 1" border of adhesive was applied to all edges and the vinyl was pulled around the edge and stuck down and stapled with 1/4" staples. The excess was carefully trimmed off. I wanted to use stainless steel or at least rust-proof staples, but I couldn't locate any. The V-Berth ceiling was a nightmare. Pretty much the same as the above except without the panels. Pull down the old headliner, brush off all of the failed adhesive and paint with waterproof paint. Spray the adhesive on mating surfaces of the headliner material and ceiling. Stick the large surfaces down and trim the material to create a smooth surface. Cover with the marine vinyl. Here, all that I can say is to tug it into place and pat down an inch at a time. Not fun! That's about it. The best advice is to just not rush the work. Also: Do as much work outside the boat as you can, especially the glueing. Wear a good dust mask when pulling down the old headliner and vacuum everything thoroughly afterwards. When working in confined areas, get a good high volume fan to pull the fumes out. 3M has a heavier duty adhesive that can be used instead of the Permatex adhesive. Both can be found at auto parts stores. Good Luck, Wes

May 12, 2006
- - Indian Rocks Beach, FL
Why not?

Wht not simply remove the old stuff and merely paint the exposed surfaces?

Apr 26, 2006
- - Lagoon City, Ontario
Headliner

Hi, I have replaced most of the head liner with white arborite. Made pattern from 3/4 * 1/4" strips glued the corneres with hot glue gun then transferred the pattern frame to the arborite. Cut our with an arborite knife fitted back & spot glued with glue gun in place then trimed the seams with teak stripps presto the head liner looks terriffic again no sagging vinyl. No rotting plywood easy to clean and has a much more modern finish. Will do the same with the sides around the windows. The walls will be done with teak or oak stripps. The angled piece around the hull to deck joint I replaced with maple which I had plained down to about 3/8". Have to tackle the V birth that's much mere difficult with the curves around the deck possibly will fill and paint but un decided. I am avoiding the material head liner since it absorbs moisture and will develope mildew. Any way thats my solution. Lookes and is not to horrible a job the biggest problem is getting the old vinyl and foam out of the boat. Good luck

Dec 7, 2006
Oday 27 gateway marina NY
everyone ,thanks for all the addvise

the boat is coming along well, i am taking my time and it is working out, i used a steamer and it took off most off the glue from the foam of the head liner. I am going to replace the liner with wood, a nice oak viner ply stained and varnished, it is starting to look a lot better, the wood is warm. the key is take your time, thanks everyone out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.