New Hunter Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Isenhour

Well it looks like I'm going to get a hunter 27. Largely because of this web site. I have a question though. It has a tiller and I want to add roller furling. Is it feasable to add wheel steering to the hunter 27? How much would either or both of these projects cost? Thanks to everyone who has posted.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
New or used.

Jeff: Is this Hunter a new or used model. If you are looking at a used boat why don't you look for one equiped with the accessories that you want/need. I think if you move to the next size up ie: 28-31 these boats are all equiped with wheels and many will have roll furling jibs. The money that you will invest in these upgrades will buy the bigger size boat. Just a thought.

B

Been there

Why do you want a wheel?

There are few advantages and several disadvantages to a wheel in a boat this size. The wheel consumes cockpit space. It is expensive. It adds complexity. It constrains where the helm must sit. And any wheel gives less feel than a tiller. What are you looking to achieve?

M

Michael O'

Tiller, Please!

When I bought my first boat (H25) I was disappointed that it had a tiller rather than wheel steering, which is what I had been used to on my brother's H31. Well, now I'm looking for a bigger, faster boat, and am wanting a boat with tiller (Beneteu, S-2, and J's) 'cause they give such better "feel" and can be pulled out of the way for cockpit socializing. Even the Beneteau 32s5 has tiller steering! Changed my mind. It happens once in a while..... Michael O'

D

Dick Vance

Cost Analysis

Jeff, The upgrades to wheel steering and roller furling are both pretty big ticket items. Beside the cost of the roller furling, if your 27 has decent headsails, they will have to be converted to roller furling by a sailmaker or you will need new sails. A good roller furling system and new roller furling sail together with a wheel system could cost as much as 3 or 4 thousand dollars!! For a boat this size, I would prefer the tiller for the same reasons as given in the other posts. Roller furling is a good addition for short handed sailing and ease of sail handling but if the boat has good hank on sails, I'd keep them and just go sailing! I have tiller and hank on sails for my 25.5, which is almost as big as the 27 and wouldn't change a thing. If you really need a wheel and roller furling, you might be better off looking for a boat with this equipment already on board. All in all, its a matter of personal preference and budget. Dick Vance H-25.5 "Honey Bear"

J

James

Going to get???

Hey, if you haven't bought the 27 yet and you want the wheel and roller furling...why not just upgrade your purchase and buy a 28.5 with a wheel and roller furling??? Infact, I'll sell you mine...I've been thinking about upgrading to a 34.... (jhoisington@dttus.com)

J

Jeff Isenhour

Thanks for the responses

Thanks for the responses. I've also talked to a few others and they pretty much said the same thing about the tiller, so I'll keep it. Still thinking about the roller furler. The deal I'm getting is to good to give up. I've also got a few other projects to do as well. Thanks again

S

Steve W

CDI Roller furling system

Keep the tiller, your cockpit is way too small for a wheel, You might research the CDI Furling systems, Can buy the kit for about $500.00.Lifetime guarantee Sail conversion with sacrificial add another $4-500.00. So for about a grand you can have furling.The 27 is a good value, unless it has the Renault diesel engine, then run from it! Good Luck.

B

Brian Westcott

Jeff, I have a hunter 27' with CDI roller furling and love it. As for the wheel steering, I have priced it through Edson and found it to cost $1800. Will keep the tiller. Also something to think about, Autohelm for a tiller is only about $350.00 vice $1000.00 for wheel steering. The Autohelm works great on the tiller.

Status
Not open for further replies.