New Hunter e33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Spent a couple of days on board the new Hunter e33 at the Toronto Boat Show as an "Ambassador" for True North Yachts. They ask for volunteer owners to come down and spend some time talking boats and sailing to people at the show. I had a great time, mostly getting to talk to people with sailboats either looking to move up or first timers. One woman I talked to quite a while was looking to move sideways from a C&C 34 to something that was much easier to single hand, which the 33 fits perfectly ;)

Managed to have a good look over the boat during the quiet times.

First thing that you really notice is the swim platform. My wife fell in love as soon as she saw it. Must be 3 times the size and much more space to use. We anchor out a lot and this would be awesome to say the least.

Next great thing I loved was the Main Sheet led to the helm beside the traveller line. Hunter first did this on the 39 and then e36 and now on the e33. I've checked it over, even considering to see if I could do this on ours.

Cockpit layout has changed slightly as well. Seats beside the helm reach further outboard and are now covered in teak. ( this pic is from the Hunter website..... you'd think I'd take some pictures while I was down there for 3 days ???...... but was having too much fun talking to people )

Couple of other nice features, one is the arch which is split partway up, with 4 large philips screws / bolts. ( philips head???? ..... seriously ?? you guys south of the 49th need to learn about Robertson head / square drive ) Makes taking down the arch much easier for the owner to do, rather than having to crawl through the aft cabin, lockers, and stern access space to get the the bolts on the underside of the deck.

One drawback is the elimination of the 4 cupholders ahead of the Instrument Pod...... we'd be lost without these.

This also shows the swim platform raised for the helm seat

Down below, is the flip seat Nav table. Gives you a bigger bench to sit and / or sleep, while still providing a larger chart table. Neat feature is the iPod docking station ( round black disc on the shelf behind the table ) which not only ties into the stereo system, but also HDMI to the tv screen for on board videos...... way cool.

Dinette table now lowers via a crank inside the cabinet beside the table. Much easier than lifting the table and pulling out the 2 support legs in our 33. Also provides extra storage beside the table. Drawback may be that the cabinet remains in place, but could also be used as a sea berth, which would be a plus.

All in all, had a great time at the show and very impressed with the new features. Hull design has also been improved, similar to the e36 which will give you a faster ride.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Thanks Scott, a really nice review. I used to do that for our marina at the Cleveland boat show. It was just last week and weekend but I didn't make it. First met Glenn Henderson there right after his first new Hunter, the H356 I think. It was fun over the years to see how much the boats improved. A big change was under cover like wiring and centralized thru-hulls well marked with real valves. Still some things about the 'e' series that bother me. Especially the hatches, just an unframed slab of plastic with compression seal.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
Hi Scott,

Hunter's website seems to have dropped the reference to e 33 and call it the new 33. They still refer to the 36 as the e36. Any insight to that? Possible electric drive coming?

Also, what do you think about the sail drive? I was not at the show but the pictures that I have seen seem to have the sail drive covered up.

I know we use the storage in the Nav station for all kinds of things, including of course the charts. I see the flip up Nav seat without that storage as a detriment. What do you think?

The lower diagonals being connected inboard is a definite plus as far as ease of movement on deck. Does the chain plate on the interior cause any storage issues? When we looked at the e33 at the PC boat show I think that there was a comment from the boss about less storage space.

Thanks for the insight into the new 33.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
see the bold

Hi Scott,

Hunter's website seems to have dropped the reference to e 33 and call it the new 33. They still refer to the 36 as the e36. Any insight to that? Possible electric drive coming?

Check the Hunter website. They have a video on the Elco electric motor for the e36, which could also explain dropping the e for the 33.

Also, what do you think about the sail drive? I was not at the show but the pictures that I have seen seem to have the sail drive covered up.

H33 at the Tor Show had the saildrive. Engine is mounted reversed with saildrive. Nice features also, is hydraulic assist lift on the stairs and bigger stairs.

I know we use the storage in the Nav station for all kinds of things, including of course the charts. I see the flip up Nav seat without that storage as a detriment. What do you think?

Possibly. I typically spread charts on the dinette table or use them up in the cockpit. I have way too many to fit in the Nav table. Probably 5-6 large charts and 4-5 of the strip chart sets. ( lot different than Lake Ontario sailing ) It ends up being a catch-all for small parts / pieces and stuff when we arrive at the boat. Usually have to clear a lot of things to get inside.

The lower diagonals being connected inboard is a definite plus as far as ease of movement on deck. Does the chain plate on the interior cause any storage issues? When we looked at the e33 at the PC boat show I think that there was a comment from the boss about less storage space.

Boat at the show was not rigged, so could not see the mast and chainplates etc.
The new 33 doesn't have the open "bins" behind the seats, but the space behind the seat upright cushion is much bigger. Other than that didn't really notice much less storage wise. Always hard to get absolutely everything you want on a boat. Too bad we couldn't take a little of each and make one???

Thanks for the insight into the new 33.

May 10, 2004
Hunter MH 37 Manitowoc, WI
We attended Strictly Sail on Friday and got to give the new 33 a good look over. I have to admit that I'm not a fan of the new deckhouse styling. The look doesn't come off as well as the previous (my version) of the 33. Some features I really liked include: Raised counter n the galley which makes room for a silverware drawer. The additional locker in the fore cabin is definately a plus. I like the new head layout better, although the Mrs. didn't like it. I would miss the Nav Desk, which I use on ours quite a bit. I didn't get to check out the engine installation, but the new steps look a lot nicer and you don't have to wrestle with them. The cockpit layout is improved, a nice touch is moving the sheet winches forward and angling them outboard. Overall, the boat looked nice, but not enough to make me trade in mine.

BruceK

Jul 26, 2005
Hunter 33 Portland, ME
I was at the factory two weeks ago and there were 11 33's in process...the e was dropped due to conflict with another boat manufacturer in Europe, so I was told this is the H332012 or some such story....My wife was pleased with the slight enlargement of the head vanity and storage. I was with the real wood sole cllose to what I had on my H30 (1992 and 1994). The hull fix would also please the landlubbers. I was not pleased with the sail drive for use in kelp filled Maine waters, or the cumbersome zinc plate situation, and not pleased with the deck modification which has the control lines running down a channel into the line buckets...certain to be a drainage ditch. I asked my dealer for a budget to trade my almost never used '08 H33 for a H332012 with same setup (lots of stuff, but not A/C, inverter,TV and some other fluff) and the net was about $65 K....Why?
I like the H33 I have very much even with a few inconveniences like engine access, overheated refrig and tiny head. If I need a larger head, for a lot less I'll find a never used H356 or H36.
Kudos to the folks at Hunter for a very comprehensive tour!! Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.