New Hunter daysailor models - 15 and 18?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 22, 2004
Hunter 170 Pittsburgh
Anyone have information on the new boats for 2010? I just came across a brochure for the new Hunter 15 (looks like a 146 to me), and a photo and one-page flyer for the 18.

I'm especially interested in the 18: looks like my Hunter 170 rig on a modified hull, and I noticed the hull is now fiberglass. I'm intrigued by what looks like a retractable bowsprit.

I still enjoy my 170, but would love to be able to fly a spinnaker. The kit for the 170 doesn't seem affordable or practical. The 170 is fun to race, but would be more competitve with a chute.

On the other hand, the 170 requires active sailing in shifty lake winds, making it less than ideal for taking the middle-age newbies my wife invites to the lake out for a casual sail. So I'm considering either moving to a more competitive boat for racing, or something larger / more stable for daysailing.

The description I found says "Boat has molded in non-skid and built out of fiberglass. Better seating to include angled high back rest and more available room in the cockpit. Hull designed for better stability and speed which is the best of both worlds. Plumb stem bow for longer water line, which is and advantage." Sounds promising...

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
It is curious that the Hunter Marine site still shows the 170. Nothing there about a new 180. Not sure the difference would be enough to satisfy the wife and the "middle-age newbies". Sounds like it would be more fun for you though.

Where do you sail near Pittsburgh?

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
I will shortly have one of the new 15's. It should be arriving in Fremantle, Western AUstralia next week or so. The only difference that I can see between it and the 146 is the fibreglass hull.

Apr 30, 2010
hunter 170 saint augustine
There is a new 180 it has more comfy seating the coaming is flat which is better to sit on when healing. It also has a hard chine leading aft, so it tracks better and is not as tender. It sails well.

Aug 14, 2010
Santana 525 Saylorville
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but did the OP or anybody else learn more about the differences?

On the hunter website the 170 has a 25' 6" mast and 150 sq ft of sail area.

The 18 has a 24' 6" mast height and 170 sq ft of sail area.

Two questions... Would they really add more sail area to this boat and if so, are reefing points now standard? Or is this just a case of creative math to calculate sail area.

Second, when they dropped the mast a foot, did they also drop the boom a foot? Might help with some of the tenderness of the 170?

Oct 8, 2009
Hunter 170 Lake Sammamish WA
On the hunter website the 170 has a 25' 6" mast and 150 sq ft of sail area.

The 18 has a 24' 6" mast height and 170 sq ft of sail area.

Two questions... Would they really add more sail area to this boat and if so, are reefing points now standard? Or is this just a case of creative math to calculate sail area.

Second, when they dropped the mast a foot, did they also drop the boom a foot? Might help with some of the tenderness of the 170?
Twenty extra feet of sail seems like a lot considering the mast was also lowered a foot. If the figures are true, I'm guessing that perhaps a 1/3 of the extra sail is in the jig. I can't picture an extra 20 feet on my 170. Except on the lightest wind days, I'm sailing my 170 with the main sail reefed (I assume it's a factory reef). Even with the reef, I find myself leaning over to the point that borders on excessive to me.

I would like to lower my mail sail about a foot as someone else did on this forum, but the mechanics of lowering the boom seem like too much trouble.

With my reefed main, I find my boat scooting along at 5-6 MPH in light gusty winds ( fast enough for me on my nearly 10 mile long lake.

Feb 26, 2010
Hunter 15 Fremantle, Western Australia
Was the foot of the mainsail lengthened? If it was you could fit a lot more area in the lower half. It's hard to tell from the published photos on the Hunter marine website.

Status
Not open for further replies.