new Hunter 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daryl

No Complaints

Used Hunters from the 80's are good value but my point is you get what you pay for. There is a reason why my H34 was $14-20k cheaper than Catalina 34's from the same era. Here in New England Catalinas seem to hold their value better tha Hunters. Although they perform well the fun ends when you want to sell it. Steve D you must be new here. Welcome aboard! My reference to cheap hardware was related to Maxell winches and Merriman steering. (and all the cost cutting "improvements" made during the five year run of these models) I left window frames and compression posts off my previous list

Mar 22, 2005
- - -
Love our 84 H31

I just purchased a 1984 31 this spring. I had experience sailing only beach cats. Easy transition to a roomy family boat. We have 4 kids plus my wife and I and are very happy with the space. The boat we bought needed lots of tlc mainly due to neglect. No major issues such as structural just cleaning and tweeking. I love the boat and would do it all over again. Dave

Feb 15, 2004
Hunter 37.5 Balt/Annapolis/New Bern
Daryl...what are you smoking?

Steve D has been here at HOW about as long as the site has been up. He gave me tons of advice in 1998(?) when I bought my former H31. He's forgotten more about that model Hunter than most of us know!

Oct 10, 2005
- - Pike's Bay Marina, Bayfield, WI
I'm going for it with my eyes open, thanks

Thanks for all the comments--I needed to hear the pluses, and the where-it-needs-work. This helps me with my decision. I have decided to go forward with the purchase so I will be an H31 owner by next sailing season. From all I've seen and heard, this is a very good value for hard-earned money, but it will always need tweaking. One matter I would still like feedback on is what is meant when the boat is described as "Tender". Could someone explain? I assume this refers to reefing early. Again, what great input to get at this stage, and for later. Many thanks.

Oct 10, 2005
- - Pike's Bay Marina, Bayfield, WI
Try again on photo

If this works, a photo of the about-to-be purchased boat will appear.

R

Roan

H 31

I recently bought a new H 33. I looked long and hard at the new H 31 but opted for the additional interior size for the buck in the 33. That being said, I was very impressed with the new 31. I believe that it is a rocket ready to blast off. Beautiful lines as well. Like the new 27, I think the 31 will surprise people with the speed of the boat. So depending on your wishes get a full roach main for speed or an in mast for convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.