new hose, new tank, new problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark hoesman

We are contemplating an upgrade of our existing holding tank, and hose. Practical Sailor seemed to like the Sealand tanks over the Todd tanks, and preferred the Sealand Odorsafe hose. Therefore, due to the decreased flexibility of the Odorsafe hose, I will need to relocate the new tank. A few additional problems are encountered, of course. First, there will be a few feet of the hose exposed into the cabin rather than all of it being either in the bilge or other enclosed compartments. Any thoughts about smell with this hose? Second, is the placement of the tank. The Sealand tanks have their fittings on the ends, of which I believe I remember you preferring them on the top of the tanks. Perhaps due to leaking tendencies. Could I place this tank on its end, to therefore have the fittins on top?(I do have the room in this lazarrette. The inspection port then would be on the side. Perhaps a worse situation? I do not know where the vent hose originates. If not on its' end, I can lay it flat, but the fittings would have to be directed aft, rather than your usual suggested inboard. What are your thouhts? Mark.

P

Peggie Hall/HeadMistress

You're making WAY too much work for yourself...

You aren't limited to the few shapes and sizes offered by SeaLand...Ronco Plastics makes an equal quality tank (they make tanks for SeaLand), has more than 400 shapes and sizes to choose from--including over 100 that are non-rectangular...they also install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make your tank (so by all means specify 'em on the top if you want to)...and all for a fraction of the price of a SeaLand tank. I know that PS had some minor problem with a Ronco tank during their tests a couple of years ago, but the the inspection port on their test SeaLand tank leaked too. 99% of the tanks we sold for more than 10 years were Ronco...never a reported problem with a single one. I agree with PS that SeaLand OdorSafe hose is the way to go...but you don't have to relocate the tank just because there are bends tighter than it wants to bend...all you have to do is break it and insert inline radius fittings--which SeaLand also offers, along with tank fittings you can actually get a hose onto. Give 'em a call at 800-321-9886 for a catalog. There! All of your installation problems solved. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.