New heads better than one

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andy

I have replaced the base of the Jabsco head, and now the pump housing appears cracked! Should I replace the whole head? Boat/US has it on sale for $10 more than a new pump! But while I'm at it, should I change heads? Has anyone replace a Jabsco with a different make/model head, and if so what and why did you choose?

D

Doug B

Jabsco feedback

We have the Jabsco electric w/macerator that we put in last year. It is designed, as you know, to pull from seacock and pump into holding tank. I wish we would have gone to the quiet flush pressure system. Like the other Jabsco product, the conversion kit to change over is about the same as the whole quiet flush toilet system! Love the operation, noise is a bit much.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

I'd just replace the whole thing

In fact, I consider any toilet that sells for under $150 to be "disposable"...not worth the price of a rebuild kit (half or even more the price of a whole new toilet), much less any replacement hardware that costs more than $5. Although I push preventive maintenance, it makes more economic sense to use a cheap toilet till it starts to need work, then just replace it. The only time I have a problem with that is when somebody decides to toss out a $700-$900 Wilcox Skipper or Imperial because the rebuild kit for it costs more than a "disposable" toilet...that's kinda like dumping a Rolls Royce to buy a Yugo because a tune-up for the Rolls costs more than the Yugo. As for whether you should just replace your Jabsco with another one like it or switch to another make, it's up to you whether to stick with cheap and disposable, or spend about $100 for one that will keep on going for years. The Raritan PH II has long been considered the best manual marine toilet in its price range (under $500)...they seem to keep working even when neglected for years. I also like the Raritan Cricket, which costs about the same. Or you can spend $500-$600 for an electric toilet, but unless your boat is at least 30', I think that would be overkill...and while there are "conversion kits" that allow you to turn a manual toilet into an electric toilet for a couple hundred dollars less, I don't recommend 'em...'cuz about all they do is turn a decent manual toilet into a poor excuse for an electric toilet. Whatever head you decide on, just don't spend any more money on your toilet...replace it!

S

Sam Lust

My advice?

I would dump the Jabsco (no pun intended)and go for the Raritan PHII. (Actually, I did.) I was able to fit the high boy into the vacated by a compact. A full domestic size toilet! OH the comfort! Raritan is a super company to deal with. Just a bunch of guys making tiolets in the Jersey pines, not a multi-national where you can't get to anyone that knows anything. Raritan is a quality product and a class act.

B

Bryan

Jabsco heads 'em

I was struck at the Miami sailboat show that virtually every production boat manufacturer, from the smallest installation to $400k cats, had the $139 Jabsco head installed. Makes ya wonder if disposable parts are being used to build boats nowadays.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

'Fraid so, Bryan...

The boat building business is--of necessity--HIGHLY bottom line oriented. When it comes to anything that's "upgradable," they're gonna install the least expensive as the "standard" and offer the buyer a choice of more expensive upgrades. And that's been true for a long time. My previous boat was an '85 34' Sea Ray...the "standard" toilet on it was a portapotty! I doubt if a single hull was actually ever sold with one, nor have I ever seen one that didn't have all the other "optional" equipment--remote spotlight, windlass, central heat.ac, etc, but the portapotty was the toilet on the "base" boat.

J

John Sheppard

Raritan PHII

I installed the Raritan in my H 28.5 based on Peggy's recommandation. Installation was pretty easy and it seems to be well built. The old model was leaking and parts were impossible to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.