New fuel tanks and hoses for portable outboard tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I have a 4HP/4 stroke 2003 Yamaha outboard for my dingy. I have been using the internal tank, but due to this terrible ethanol gas, I now turn off the fuel and run the gas out on every day of use so no gas is in the carburator. (at the end of the weekend, I drain the bowl too!). It takes me about 20 pulls to get gas back to the carburator after I do this.

I have been using a 1 gallon container and just filling the internal tank. I am considereing getting a small (3-3.5 gallon) external tank with siphon bulb so I can pressurize with the siphon and avoid the 20 pulls!

Do the newest EPA mandated tanks and hoses fit the old 2003 fittings on the motor or will I have to change out the motor fitting to match the new tanks?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Jerry, sounds like you might have a fuel pump problem .. ?? Most internal tanks are gravity feed but that engine uses a pump to get the gasoline uphill to the carb. The old Yamaha fittings should still be compatible with new stuff.. so a bulb and external tank should work fine. Before going "external" though, check to be sure the little check valve in the motor side fitting is not leaking air into the pump and that the little hose from the pump to the motor side external fuel fitting is not cracked or loose.
That thing should start in only a few-4 or 5 pulls.. Are ya initially pulling with throttle fully closed and choke fully on? Should take 2-3 pulls like that to get gas to the carb, then open the throttle a little and pull to start with choke still on .. ??

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Just takes 20 when I have run it dry

Kloudie:
Thanks for the response. When I get it started the first time, it starts on the first or second pull after that. I start cold with choke full out and the throttle set on the "starting" setting. When warm, it ususally starts on the first pull.

My problem is when I run it dry and it has to prime from the tank.

I'm glad to know that the fitting on the motor will fit the new tanks. I think I am going to get one. Considering taking the boat to Florida for the winter and will be using the dingy a lot more, so the extra gas will be helpful.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Yeah.. ya prolly right in going to the bulb to fill the float bowl.. if it is starting well once warm/float bowl full, then you've diagnosed your problem and solution ! I was just kinda wondering that if the pump was not filling the empty bowl fast enough, it might bear looking at ??

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Great website!

Thalnks for the link to the non-ethanol website! That is the major problem. The mechanic that just rebuilt my carburator for $150 (the second time in two years) said that the ethanol gas would phase separate into three distinct layers in twenty-four hours if left in a glass jar. This ethanol gas is pure junk! I use stabil, but it doesn't seem to fix the problems with ethanol gas.

I found sources off the website in Grand Rivers, KY wherre my boat is, and also in my hometown of Clarksville, TN. - one within about 3 miles of my house! Thanks alot for your site reference!

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
I would still use Sta-bil even on straight non- ethanol gas unless you're going to use it all within a month or less. Sta-bil doesn't correct the ethanol problem but there are products that claim to prevent phase separation. Heck by the time you add all that crap, might as well buy avgas for $5.00 a gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.