New friend is a crow?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
This little fella just flew down to the ground, hopped up to me, and opened his beak. Lucky for him, the Admiral was cutting up some steaks right at that moment. I picked him up, brought him in the house, and we fed him pieces of steak til he could eat no more. Took him back outside, played around with him for a minute, and then watched him fly away.

So strange. But so cool!! He was smaller than the pic makes him look, just an adolescent I think.

20221120_171505.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
There is more to the story. I posted my new feathered friend on Facebook, and a buddy of mine responded almost immediately:

"This is way funny... My in-laws that live across the main highway from you, came over at noon today and Dad told us about this crow that was super social... walked with him while he walked the dog, sat on the gate eye level, he talked to it, he followed him around the yard, then he flew up to the house with them, walked on the porch and sat there at Dad's feet. Mom brought out some food and he sat there eating it out of his hand. Then he just flew off."

Those folks only live 1000 yards away. It HAS to be the same crow.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Congratulations
Play your cards right and he/she will be back. Make you part of the family.. and bring trinkets.

When I was a kid, a crow adopted us. He was a yearling and while we avoided feeding him, he decided to hang around us all summer.

When we left the lake at the end of the summer, he chased the car down the road until we stopped and let him in. He seemed to know we were leaving for more than a few days.

My dad built a large cage that he could sleep and eat in. He was free to come and go as he pleased. He could open and close the door as needed.

Amazing bird. As smart as the animal researchers say.

He learned to mimic a rooster one summer. (adding to his other mimicry skills) We discovered him dead in yard one morning. We had the university do an autopsy... Poisoned..:mad: always suspected the neighbour who hated him. His name was Joe.

Sep 30, 2013
Congratulations
Play your cards right and he/she will be back. Make you part of the family.. and bring trinkets.

When I was a kid, a crow adopted us. He was a yearling and while we avoided feeding him, he decided to hang around us all summer.

When we left the lake at the end of the summer, he chased the car down the road until we stopped and let him in. He seemed to know we were leaving for more than a few days.

My dad built a large cage that he could sleep and eat in. He was free to come and go as he pleased. He could open and close the door as needed.

Amazing bird. As smart as the animal researchers say.

He learned to mimic a rooster one summer. (adding to his other mimicry skills) We discovered him dead in yard one morning. We had the university do an autopsy... Poisoned..:mad: always suspected the neighbour who hated him. His name was Joe.
That is an incredible and heartwarming story, except for the very end of course. Chased you down the road?? Unbelievable. Awesome that your dad stopped and took him in!

JamesG161

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Beware of the Birds!!

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 6.14.21 AM.png

From Trivia...
"Alfred Hitchcock revealed on The Dick Cavett Show (1968) that 3,200 birds were trained for the movie. He said the ravens were the cleverest, and the seagulls were the most vicious."

Run run run....

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
The Bible speaks of the world to come when all the animals will be like your crow. "The wolf shall live with the lamb, the leopard shall lie down with the kid...and a little child shall lead them... Isaiah 11:6-9
Your crow is just getting ahead of himself.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Your crow is just getting ahead of himself.
The Bible talks about all sorts of nonsense.

Crows have long been known to befriend humans. An acquaintance of mine made friends with the local murder of crows, and they give him gifts. There is a book "Gifts of the Crow" that covers a lot of interesting info. Much of it is obvious if you made friends with crows.

ravens were the cleverest
Corvids over all are extremely smart. There was a study done with new caledonian crows that showed they can reason how to solve puzzles and make.tools.

Last edited:

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Are you sure... it was a Crow and not a Raven?

There was a line I read...
“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,...."
1669043181018.png

It is said.. "Never cross a crow. It will remember your face."

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
It is said.. "Never cross a crow. It will remember your face."
They definitely remember your face. Both anecdotal empirical evidence

There is a youtube video of one test at a university

Crows and ravens have different head shapes... I wish Joe had been a raven.. because they are bigger.:waycool:

As for tapping in the night while you were weary.. yup.. Joe would wake us up occasionally. Occasionally we woke him.up..
I wish we could have taught him to say nevermore.. hehe

• Ha

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As a murder of crows flew across our backyard sky I wondered...

Contemplating crows, this story and image caught my eye..

It is by Darren Shan about his daughter Gaia:
"she's communing with the crows in our back field. Yeah, I said communing and I mean it! Rather than stick our leftovers in a recvcling bin or compost heap, we throw them out the back for our local birds - - mostly crows. They make short work of the scraps, although they never move in to feed until we've withdrawn and closed the back door. That isn't the case weith Gaia. They happily swoop in while she stands there, humming and crying out wordlessly to them. I think she's a witch in the making, and the crows will be her familiars."

1669045109224.png

Sep 30, 2013
`
Are you sure... it was a Crow and not a Raven?
It seems we don't have ravens in Florida. We have two crows, the fish crow and the American crow. I think this one was an American, since the fish crow has a bit of a hooked beak.

When I got home from work today, I waited outside until dusk to see if he might return. But no sign. :(