new foss rudder; are there bearings to replace?

Apr 19, 2011
Hunter 31 Seattle
I'm trying to be more prepared before going to yard for haul out and subsequent replacement. I have heard there bearings but you can't really replace then since the way they are positioned. Can someone confirm this? I would hate to find surprises after the fact and pay money while the boats on the hard.

should I barrier coat the rudder too?

thanks,
Jared

Jan 21, 2009
Catalina 30 Lake Perry, KS
Foss rudder

I replaced a rudder on a 28.5 which I think will be similar to your 31. First the "bearings" are really thick doughnut looking white nylon. The bottom one is screwed into the boat. The second is thru bolted to the shaft and rests upon the bottom "bearing" . I think you will have to drill 6 holes into the shaft. Foss won't do it since every boat is different. One set for securing the top "bearing" on to the shaft. One set for securing the quadrant. (can't remember if that set is needed). The third set for the emergency tiller. The shaft from Foss will be filled with foam which you will have to remove down far enough for inserting the emergency tiller. I took my new rudder to have a machine shop drill the holes. Not much more than buying the bits etc..The following link has more in depth instructions and a picture.

You will have to sand and clean the rudder to remove the release agent.

http://forums.hunter.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?p=864653&highlight=rudder bearing