New Engine

May 16, 2014
Beneteau 1st38 REGENT POINT
We have a 1982 "First 38" and we need to replace our engine. Does anyone have any suggestions. Checking into Yanmar, Westerbeke and Volvo. Any suggestions?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
We have a 1982 "First 38" and we need to replace our engine. Does anyone have any suggestions. Checking into Yanmar, Westerbeke and Volvo. Any suggestions?
check in to BATA they have some good reviews and seem to be competitively priced

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
If at all possible I would try to replace the existing engine with the identical one. You may run into all sorts of "fit" issues using a different engine. The engine bed, strut orientation, wiring harness, and engine compartment may have to be modified. I personally like Yanmar engines but if it doesn't easily fit it's a moot point.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
With Woodster here.. look at BETA down in North Carolina . Their engine is a Kubota and looks to be well done. They will work with you to provide a new package with an identical footprint to your current powerplant.
http://www.betamarinenc.com/
They'll be at Oriental at the show next month.. might be worth a trip down to get a "boat show" price.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Don't know what your original engine is but I am with Ted on this one. I repowered a Freeport 41 some years ago with an Isuzu 4 cyl not wishing to rebuild the Nissan 6 cylinder. The repower was terrific but the fit up and finagling required was almost monumental. In hindsight rebuild, that is using the original engine, would have been much simpler.

I had a Yanmar 2QM20 in a Columbia 10.7 and thought it was bullet proof, although underpowered for the boat. I have 76 hp Yanmar in my current boat and love it. I heard once that Yanmar had about 80% of the sailboat engine market. Don't know how true that is but parts support is very good.

I can't comment on other engine brands.

BJV

Jun 8, 2004
Island Trader 41 foot Ketch, CC Arnold
Another vote for Beta.
Stanley provides excellent advice, easy to talk with and no preasure.
we repowered and they modify the mounts to fit you bed, ours was a drop in fit.
price is great too, beats volvo, westerbeke and yanmar.
parts are substantially cheaper than the others as well.
many of the consumable parts can be bought from Napa, inexpensively. Easy to get parts anywhere in world (Kubota tractor)
Some good design features like built in oil extractor pump, option for second alternator, choice of transmitionor bobtail, choice of panel configurations, option to repower with hybrid.
really good after sale support.

Mar 22, 2015
Catalina 30 Fort Myers Beach
I only have significant experience with the two Westerbeke Universal 25HP engines I have had in my Catalina 30. They generally perform well, but when it comes to problems I can't fix myself, there have been major service and warranty issues.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Beta is the way to go. Parts are available at the local Kubota dealer for a small fraction of marine prices. Engines are strong and run forever, they're used in all kinds of industrial and excavating equipment. Beta does an excellent job of marinizing them too, with real attention to making maintenance easier. Water pump and built in oil change pump right up front, etc.