new dodger loose and floppy

Sep 11, 2011
Hunter 41AC Bayfield WI, Lake Superior
I hired a reputable firm to make me a new dodger/bimini set for out 2004 AC 41. This was not a discount deal. He used the original dodger/bimini as the pattern. what I got back was a very loose fitting dodger with wrinkled and floppy windows. The windows are strata glass. At the time of installation, he said that his model had loose glass to make it easier to open and close.

My old dodger from Hunter fit like a glove, windows were tight and clear even after 2 glass replacements.

Am I wrong to expect a tight dodger, or is loose and floppy the norm? I do not want to beat the guy up if loose and floppy is the new normal.

Thanks

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
This was not a discount deal....I do not want to beat the guy up if loose and floppy is the new normal.
Perhaps a discounted beating? ;)

Don't know where you're at, but that could have some bearing on your next move.
Fully paid?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i believe that loose will lead to flapping in a strong breeze and that will lead to excessive early wear.
like i said, i've never ever seen loose.
i have seen loose sail covers wear holes in themselves in one hard blow. the flapping sail cover wore holes in the sail in that one hard blow.
it's how it will perform in all conditions.
you asked, loose is not acceptable

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Ask for refrances of previous work and contact those customers.
Does he have photos of jobs that he had done.
No wrinkles, please.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
The canvas shop should have laid out the fabric on the dodger frame. They should have also installed it when completed. If you are dissatisfied with the results, have them adjust the frame or have them resew to fit appropriately. Many years ago I had a new bimini made that held water like a fish pond. I had the owner of the shop come out to look at it and he immediately agreed to remake it. I think they are trying to dupe you into thinking that is should be loose. Nothing worse than a poorly fitted dodger or bimini.:(

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
He used the original dodger/bimini as the pattern.
Just wondering if he actually ripped the stitches and used the various panels for the pattern. I was taught that since the materials can stretch out over time, using an old dodger to make the pattern is a bad idea. I understand new patterns should be made for this reason.
Could that be the cause for being loose?

Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for all of the responses. The original dodger was not stretched out, just old and tired. The glass was tight and clear, so as a pattern it should have worked great. I adjusted the all of the bows and have gotten the canvas parts to tighten up, of course the bimini portion is now 3-4 inches higher than it was. To me it just looks like the whole thing was cut too big. So even with the canvas tighter by changing the bows the strata glass windows are floppy, loose and very wavy, to the point that as we returned to our dark harbor one night, I needed to look around the dodger to make sure I was not going to hit anything.

I will have another conversation with the maker, he has a decent reputation, and maybe I just got unlucky.

Thanks again

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Just wondering if he actually ripped the stitches and used the various panels for the pattern. I was taught that since the materials can stretch out over time, using an old dodger to make the pattern is a bad idea. I understand new patterns should be made for this reason.
Could that be the cause for being loose?
our local canvas guy who does fabulous work says he NEVER uses the old dodger / Bimini as a pattern because they stretch over time. He always measures from scratch.

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
my brand New Dodger is like a guitare string ! if it flops it'll tear in a gale.
NVequipment.com sans thé tighter the better !!

Feb 1, 2014
Watkins 27 North East, MD
Screwing up the job is bad. Trying to BS thier way out of it is far worse. Money back, move on to next shop.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Unfortunately no "good canvas guy" uses an old dodger as a pattern. Good canvas guys physically pattern to the existing frame or make a brand new one and then pattern to it..

Sep 11, 2011
I started an email dialog with the shop including pictures and an offer to pay more money to make it right. I then followed up with a phone call. The owner would not take my call. It went straight to voice mail. He got real defensive, and says that it is floppy because I had him do the finale installation in late April when it was still cold out. And still no return call 3 months later. He said he would stop by and look at it when he got to the marina. He never did. The boat is now stored.

Very frustrating, as I am just shy of 4K into it. I will probably just live with it for a few years and make sure I tell everyone I meet how poor his work is.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
i believe that loose will lead to flapping in a strong breeze and that will lead to excessive early wear.
like i said, i've never ever seen loose.
i have seen loose sail covers wear holes in themselves in one hard blow. the flapping sail cover wore holes in the sail in that one hard blow.
it's how it will perform in all conditions.
you asked, loose is not acceptable
:plus:

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I started an email dialog with the shop including pictures and an offer to pay more money to make it right. I then followed up with a phone call. The owner would not take my call. It went straight to voice mail. He got real defensive, and says that it is floppy because I had him do the finale installation in late April when it was still cold out. And still no return call 3 months later. He said he would stop by and look at it when he got to the marina. He never did. The boat is now stored.

Very frustrating, as I am just shy of 4K into it. I will probably just live with it for a few years and make sure I tell everyone I meet how poor his work is.
If you’re willing to pay for the work, perhaps a good canvas worker could rework it to fit so the glass is straight. You can’t make it bigger, but I think a canvas worker with a decade or two of experience might be able to “ take it in “ along the seams if you take it apart and Re stitch it. It Might cost a bit to hire somebody really good, but less than a new one would cost.

I’ve never altered the fit of a dodger, but I’ve done extensive pattern making and alterations for custom-made clothing. A good tailor can make something a little too big fit perfectly.

Jan 1, 2014
Hunter 42 Upper Chesapeake
Do you have pictures of the new canvas work on the boat? Would be interested to see what it looks like