New depth display....old transducer

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Just applied Maine Sails handy tips to connect my old 200 mhz? Data Marine transducer to a new Raymatine i50 display. All went well. Found out the mini spade connectors are called 1/8 inch spades and it's best to leave the center wire shorter as the outer braided wire is much more flexible and the extra lenght is accommodated by flexing it around the more rigid center wire.
Worked well but for one thing, it reads 49 feet in my 8 to 10 foot deep slip. If I understand the i50 manual there is only +/- 9 ft calibration range.
Is there a fix other than buying a new transducer?
Many thanks.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
49 feet in my 8 to 10 foot deep slip
Oh wow...
I took a similar path. I attached the transducer that was speaking to my SiTec depth display. (Straight out of the 70's. Reminded me of the WWII sub movies with their "depth" - sonar scopes.).

I used the RayMarine ITC-5 to connect the analog signal to the transducer. It works great. I speaker to my SeatalkNG system and I get Depth on my various connected displays. AP and iPad/iPhone/Laptop systems.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Hi Larry,
Sounds like a good question to ask a Raymarine Tech on the Raymarine Forum. You’ll need to register, free, ask your question and a tech will answer in a day or two. Your post won’t show until he replies. I had good service from them when designing my new system.
I’m using my 1993 vintage depth transducer, which was connected to an ST50 display, connected to an I70S via iTC-5.
The ST50 and now the i70 have offset adjustment for depth transducer but have not seen a calibration procedure or setting.

Sep 23, 2009
Thanks Ward. I will try that and post here as soon as I get a reply.

Nov 14, 2013
Catalina 50 Seattle
If you get an answer from Chuck at Raymarine, it'll be in 3rd person pentameter.
"If one should have an i50 display and wish to connect it to an older depth transducer, the procedure one must follow is as follows..."

Always very helpful but I always feel like I'm back in a high school English class when I read his responses.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
@njlarry
I was reading through the RM Forum and noted a discussion about a P79 shoot thru the hull transducer not being supported by a i40 display. It is supported by the i50 display.
The P79 might be a solution if you do not want to pull your boat to install a new transducer.
Interested in what RM Tech says.

Sep 23, 2009
That is a good possibility. Also a might use just a P 19 and use it as an inside the hull transducer. Won't have a few hours to be on hold till later in the week but will see what they suggest. I think an ict 5 would be more expensive and awkward than simply using a new inside the hull transducer. Will post what they say.

Oct 22, 2014
I think an ict 5 would be more expensive and awkward than simply using a new inside the hull transducer
Larry. The ICT-5 is a box. It uses a transducer be it thru hull or inside the hull. As long as the transducer transmits a signal the ICT-5 takes the analog signal and concerts it to digital. Then it puts it on the seatalkng backbone. Your displays pick it up and display the depth. I can see depth thru my AP EV100 system. The AP display has a feature that displays the depth reading on the SeatalkNG back bone. I can also see depth in my iPad/iPhone using iNavx. It is taken from the SeatalkNG backbone and transmitted using wifi to my iPad/iPhone/laptop.

Works great.

Oct 22, 2014
Glad you asked. My Vesper XB8000 AIS box. It connects up to 5 mobile devices, and translates NMEA 2000 navigation data and routes it over WiFi, USB or NMEA 0183

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Don't forget that there is a significant difference between Seatalk and SeatalkNG. This is why there is a suggestion of an itc5. The commentary about "mini spade connectors" suggests that the device is at best simply SeaTalk, and that data needs to be converted. Just because you can plug it in does not guarantee that it'll tell you the right time of day, in the right time zone.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
@Meriachee
You need a 70 series device to program/calibrate the iTC5 for connected transducers. Larry's i50 needs the depth transducer connected directly to it in order to calibrate or set the off-set. Pretty sure the transducer itself is not considered a SeaTalk device. The data from the transducer is converted by the i50 to SeaTalk or an iTC5 to SeaTalkng.