New Cruising Sails - Are you considering them for 2021?

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i've had 'BIG BLUE" (11/2 oz spinnaker) up in Mac races with 40 mph true, prolly 30 app. the sail held up fine. what does happen with a tank like aeolus is the overpowering of the sails makes the vessel oscillate back and forth to the point where the booms would start dipping into the water. dangerous for sure. but we'er racing. so i would rotate the spinnaker around the mast and 'hide' just enough square footage behind the main that the oscillation would stop. the sail was not hurt.

"more sail" ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A 1 1/2 oz from one source to another can have different strengths. How you sail the sail can influence the damage. Or the performance.

Racing sails means living on the edge of the sail.

I for one am happy that you get to live on the edge and enjoy the benefits of the strength designed into your sail.

May 25, 2012
i was just speculating that a 11/2 oz cloth will be heartier than just light air sailing. i can't kill 'big blue', as of yet. it has amazed me at what it has taken. had it inspected many times.

maybe doc judy will clarify

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
So shouldn't the main be down as it is blanketing the blue sail?

May 25, 2012
the new sail can be reduced in sq ft by rolling some in on the foil i assume. keeping the sq ft aloft equal to the wants of the captain. and the cloth will not be hurt by the higher winds

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
I bought a new main and jib from Quantum in early September of 2020. Great customer service from their rep & installation crew. Quantum was offering a pretty good discount if I bought 2 or more sails. I guess their loft was looking at work due to the COVID impacts on the racing season.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I guess their loft was looking at work due to the COVID impacts on the racing season
That's a good point. I bought my daughter a new North race sail for her boat as a Christmas gift December 2019. There were no regattas last year so she never used the new sail. The lofts must be hurting from lack of racing.