New Cracks in my 170

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
So I pulled the cover off to place a spacer to keep water from pooling. In the rear port side top (sorry my boat part knowledge is a bit weak) I have a 2 new cracks. I did expect that area to crack more based on the existing cracks. I can see that somehow that area is extra stressed or maybe the chemistry is not right. Either way, no big deal. A few minutes with the dremel and some MA adhesive and it will be fine.

I should add. I had to move my 65 Mustang back to my rear garage from my mom's house. So the 170 got moved outside. It came with a grey cover so it is not fully exposed to the elements. Waiting for when I can take it over to the Yacht club in the spring and hopefully get out on it more and have people that know how to sail teach me.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
There are a few discussions about this problem. Apparently hull cracks on the Hunter 170 are a common problem. Here is a link to one of them. There are a couple of other links mentioned in this one.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Terrible. Is the crack near the cleats, on a flat section or a curve? Any picture?

Youll get it fixed and out no problem.

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
More forward on the round section. The existing crack I fixed is a few of feet forward of the cleat and runs just short of the top of the curve down and around to the 90 bend for mating flange. The crack sort of follows the 90 for a foot or two. This new crack is like a foot behind the original crack. It is really like there is some kind of funky tension in the area as the other side does not have this type of crack.

Most of the others I have seen pictures of have these cracks also.

So long as no cracks happen on the bottom side the rest are sort of no big deal. It still will sail fine and it cant sink.

Oh should mention. The temps have just started to drop down to the freezing levels and get up into the 50's. It also gets the sun in the morning. I want to put it in a shady area, but the neighbor has not taken down the dead 60 foot tall oak with large branches that could fall on it. Pretty sure the large branches would do in the boat. So it is in a place away from the trees.