New Columbia 27' Owner - Jib Dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 23, 2009
2 27' (8.3m) Rock Hall
Firstly, I'd just like to say Hi to everyone, and that I'm glad to of found such a useful site.
I live in the UK and have just brought a Columbia 27' (1979) in Maryland.
One of my biggest expense's is going to be a new furling jib. But I'm having trouble finding the dimensions for it, which I need as I'm currently shopping around for quotes...
So if anyone out there could help, it'd be much appreciated.

Jan 23, 2009
2 27' (8.3m) Rock Hall
Thanks, but I've already found that site, and it was useful, but doesn't give the dimensions that I need to get an accurate quote... Was kind of hoping that someone has ordered one recently or happens to know... Or another site that gives the info for each sail...

Jan 23, 2009
2 27' (8.3m) Rock Hall
I may try an Australian sail maker... at least for a quote, so I can get the info... the Columbia 27' doesn't seem that well known outside OZ... Unfortunately it's the week-end now....

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
I'm sure this isn't a hard and fast rule, but sailmakers typically won't give you the dimensions of a sail. And to compound your situation, one of the key measurements is from tack to swivel, which is going to be different depending on the furler that's on the boat. Whether you decide to buy new or used, ultimately someone is going to have to measure your rig, I think.

Jan 23, 2009
2 27' (8.3m) Rock Hall
Ah, ok. I suspect the marina owner may charge me for measuring. But I asked him for a quote (as he has an on-site sail-maker) so I'm hoping to get the measurement's with the quote. I'm not going to collect the boat for another 2-3 months, but starting to shop around now. I've looked at a couple of online quotes for the Columbia 26 and 28 to get a rough idea, so I know i'm looking at $720-1100. I think my chances of finding a second hand one from the same boat are slim... How easy would it be to fit a smaller second hand furling jib as say a 90% etc?

Jan 23, 2009
2 27' (8.3m) Rock Hall
I made approximate measurements using the boats schematics and some maths, found a second hand sail with the correct foot length but a fair bit more leech and luff for $440... If I do the work myself could it be modified? No doubt sail shape may suffer I imagine, but I am on a budget for cash, but not for time...
I'm good at sewing, by hand and machine, and will of course get books and ask advice before attempting this... Is this worth it? I realize that I'll have to spend out a bit for the materials to do the work, but it's all stuff that would be useful to have anyway....

Jan 23, 2009
2 27' (8.3m) Rock Hall
Been doing a bit of reading, seeing as I have the time, I think I'm going to make my own sails, although it will cost about the same for my first sail with all the equipment I need, after that it will easily pay for itself... not to mention the fact that I'll have everything I need to make repairs onboard then...

Jun 7, 2004
2 34 Miami
Hi , You really should try Bacon Sails or Atlantic Sail Traders for a good used sail ! Capn Ron , owner 1979 Col 8.7

Status
Not open for further replies.