New Cal 29 Owner!

Jun 23, 2016
Cal 20 Huntington Beach
Hello I am new to this site and wanted to jump right in. I recently became the new owner of a Cal 29 . I got a great deal, but with that comes a lot of work. Shrouds need to be replaced and the inboard needs servicing. So far I've just been motoring around the harbor with friends but I found a guy to do a share program with. Hopefully she will be sail ready soon! Just looking for any advice on the boat and/or share program experiences or knowledge thanks!
IMG_20160523_111146.jpg

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome. Congrats on your boat. Great dock lines.
There is a lot going on with you boat picture. Share your observations of the boat.
Did you get a survey? Any issues stand out? In what year was she made? Cal used wood spreaders on some of there boats. This can become an issue.

Jun 23, 2016
Cal 20 Huntington Beach
Needs new shrouds as I mentioned, spreaders may just need to be refinished. Could use new paint everywhere but as far as getting sail ready it should be soon! Got the hull cleaned yesterday and boy does she cruise pretty quick now (tons of growth as the previous owners did not take good care at all..)

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Cleaning the bottom is always a rewarding experience. I restored my 1974 mast this January. When I took the mast down the wood spreaders were rotten. Collapsed like a squeezed sponge. Good luck on the rigging. Smart to do it and know your starting with a sound system.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Cal's are great boats. My first boat... So well balanced. Bill lapworth knew how to make a boat

Sep 28, 2012
pearson 26w Marblehead
you can order new shrouds from a co like rig right on line. I would get the same size that is on there,
you are going to have to take the mast down to install new stays. About paint, depends You can get a new algrip job top of the line but expensive. or you could go for a roll and tip job and do it yourself
you didnt tell us anything about the engine ? good luck

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Cal 29's are GREAT boats - excellent sailing, especially in heavy weather (although be prepared for lots of heel!). The one Big Thing to watch out for is the infamous "beam": There's a (NON STAINLESS) steel beam in the hull which is basically the mast step (it distributes the load over the hull). They rust and must be replaced with a SS one. Google it: I'm sure you'll get lots of stories!

But apart from the beam, they ARE indestructible, fully capable of going to Hawaii if you like. Does she have any sails at all? Raise them - I'll be you'll be surprised how well she sails even with old, bagged-out sails. And get a chute (spinnaker) for her!

druid

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Another echo on Cal's being great boats.
Sailboatdata.com says it came with the Atomic 4 for power. If yours still has the A4 then you need to take a visit to http://www.moyermarine.com/
When I bout my Cal 2-27 I made new spreaders out of White oak, the originals as I understand it were made out of Spruce but you can find replacements made out of aluminum.
Congrats on the "new" boat.

Jun 23, 2016
Cal 20 Huntington Beach
Thanks for all the replies and info! She is definitely getting there. About the inboard, it is indeed an Atomic 4 (30 hp). Starts to turn but doesn't turn over. Will be serviced soon, that'd be a lot of power! I have lightly sailed my dirty (but working) jib and I have 2 mains in decent shape. Had to exchange the included spinnaker and tall boy for the jib..

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
A properly maintained A4 is a fine power plant. The forums on Moyer's website are a wealth of information on the beast. Good luck getting it in running order.