New Cal 20 Owner

Jun 23, 2016
Cal 20 Huntington Beach
I got a really good deal on a Cal 20 that is sail ready! Hooked up my old trolling motor now just waiting to get a bigger battery and I will be out on the open water. Just wanted to see if there are any other Cal 20 owners out there and if anyone has any suggestions, ideas, etc thanks! :)

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
Greetings Sambo and welcome to the forum, although I see you've been around a couple of months.

Last edited:

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Keel trunk? isn't the Cal 20 a fixed keel?

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
You're right. I was thinking of the Cal-21.

never mind..... edited previous post....

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2016
Cal 20 Huntington Beach
All the rigging is good to go and the sails are in decent shape. The lady I bought it from and her family have been the original owners and kept really good care of her! Can't seem to upload any pics..

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
All the rigging is good to go and the sails are in decent shape. The lady I bought it from and her family have been the original owners and kept really good care of her! Can't seem to upload any pics..
The Cal 20 is a great boat! You are going to love sailing it.
There is a really active fleet of Cal 20's just up the road from you in San Pedro. If you need answers to all things Cal 20 related give Jib Kelly at Kelly Marine a call.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Also does anyone know what that extension is towards the top of the mast? Only pic I could upload..
I assume you are asking about the jumper strut. That bit of rigging helps keep the top portion of the mast in column.

DannyS

May 27, 2004
Beneteau 393 Bayfield, Wi
My very first boat was a Cal 20. It was a P.O.S. but I loved it! It was fast and nimble and could be sailed in pretty heavy winds. Enjoy it!

Jun 23, 2016
Cal 20 Huntington Beach
Took her out today for a motor and downwind sail.. tried to get under the PCH bridge in HH but ended up actually hitting it! Bounced right off, thought the mast was going to snap.... lesson learned to go only during low tide hahah

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
Cal 20's are legendary: fast (for a 20), some space down below, but mainly indestructible and will sail in pretty much any weather. Like all Cals, they like sailing on their ear.
Good choice, and it looks like it's in excellent shape!
druid

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
ended up actually hitting it! Bounced right off, thought the mast was going to snap
Sambo. Oops. Not good. The best results are bounced off no issues. But that is often not the actual results. Need to check several area.
  1. Do you have a furler on your fore sail? Such events can crip or damage the furler extensions. A friend with a new to him 42 foot Moody had a rigger inspect the boat. Learned the boat had met a bridge and bounced off. Repaired by PO only missed the damaged mast head and forestay.
  2. Check your forestay for abrasive damage.
  3. Check the fittings on the stay ends for damage.
  4. Inspect the mast head for bent pieces.
  5. Inspect the deck where the stay is attached both above and below deck.
You just had your boat weight and momentum stopped by a fixed object. These are forces not designed into your boat rigging. Would be surprised that there no evidence of the experience.
Best wishes for your sailing fun.

Jun 23, 2016
Cal 20 Huntington Beach
Yup did a check everywhere and no damage to my surprise! Definitely learned the hard way what a good clearance is..

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Cal boats are tough critters.

Jun 23, 2016
Cal 20 Huntington Beach
Could anyone tell me the exact footage of the clearance height of the mast?